Re: phisical MDF without security...

From: Andrew J. Kelly (ajkellynospam@attbi.com)
Date: 03/10/03

    From: "Andrew J. Kelly" <ajkellynospam@attbi.com>
    Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 18:52:58 -0500

    There is no way to password protect the file. If you don't want someone to
    access the file then don't give them access to the server.

    --
    Andrew J. Kelly
    SQL Server MVP
    "Tark Siala" <tarksiala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > thank's
    > but you mean MDF File not have any internal security like MDB File ???
    > i think must have a password to allow access or not access to this file
    >
    > in this way i can access any MDF file aound the world
    > just attach file to my SQL
    > what u think ?
    > ________________________________
    > Best Regards From Tark
    > "Hal Berenson" <haroldb@truemountainconsulting.com> wrote in message
    > > You need to use the operating system security mechanisms to prevent your
    > > friend from having access to the file.  If they are allowed to make a
    > > physical copy of the file then they can access the data.
    > >
    > > Also, if you have one of the versions of Windows that supports the
    > Encrypted
    > > File System (EFS) then you can use that to encrypt your entire database.
    > >
    > > Finally, please don't cross-post.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hal Berenson
    > > True Mountain Consulting
    > >

    > > "Tark Siala" <tarksiala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > hi
    > > > i have SQL Server 2000 on my PC , and i manage Login and User
    > > > to set my Database under security.
    > > >
    > > > but my frnd copy my DB (MDF File i think where SQL Store all tables
    and
    > > > Login) to her PC
    > > > then connect it to instance SQL Server , and my frnd can see all my
    Data
    > > :(
    > > >
    > > > how i can secure my MDF file ??????????
    > > > and how can any ony login MDF file without i Added to Users and Logins
    > ???
    > > > is it a bug or i'm not do something ??
    > > >
    > > > please tel me
    > > > ________________________________
    > > > Best Regards From Tark

    • Re: password protect encrypted directory
      ... using NTFS security is like wrapping it in paper and hoping no one ... I would like to password protect this directory so even the user who ... > Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. ... > pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: phisical MDF without security...
      ... but you mean MDF File not have any internal security like MDB File ??? ... > File System then you can use that to encrypt your entire database. ... >> and how can any ony login MDF file without i Added to Users and Logins ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
    • Re: Prevent XP Professional from locking laptop every 15 minutes
      ... password protect, is indeed selected but it is greyed out and I cannot change it. ... Obviously this is seen as a security feature and not something they wish end users to circumvent. ... Whether the actual risk might be very low and the real world implications of a 'security breach' in our case might be laughably inconsequential seems not to interest them very much. ... You will not be able to change things in the registry because you won't have the access rights. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Prevent XP Professional from locking laptop every 15 minutes
      ... seen as a security feature and not something they wish end users to ... the option on resume, password protect, is selected. ... I have a work-provided laptop that has been setup by our IT department. ... the laptop to automatically lock after 15 minutes of no input. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • [UNIX] tHTTPd and Mini_HTTPd Permission Bypass Vulnerability
      ... tHTTPd and Mini_HTTPd Permission Bypass Vulnerability ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... versions of Mini_HTTPd web server appear to be affected. ... If htaccess is used to password protect a directory, ...
      (Securiteam)