SQL Server / Firewall Security

From: MarkA-UK (mark@nospamineed.nospam)
Date: 03/04/03

From: "MarkA-UK" <mark@nospamineed.nospam>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:11:45 -0000

People,

Before I start with the main question please just assume the term firewall
can be any type of firewall not necessarily ISA, Checkpoint or anything like
that specific.

If I have an SQL server on the internal side of the firewall containing my
full database and a SQL server on the outside of my firewall containing a
public sub set of my main internal database data for my website, what ports
etc do I need to open up on my firewall if I want to replicate data from the
internal server to the external (PUSH)?

I know that the standard port is 1433 but I am guessing that's a real
security risk. If I was the change the SQL server ports would that affect
all my internal users?? if so then I cant do that.

You thoughts / ideas / suggestions on best practices would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers
Mark.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SQL Server 2005 Transaction VPN Firewall
    ... den MSDTC habe ich eingerichtet, wenn ich die Firewall alle Ports aufmache, ... Kann man die Verbindung nicht auf einen festen Port legen? ... wie geht das in SQL Server 2005? ... Ports da genutzt werden. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.sqlserver)
  • Re: Deploying ASP.NET Application
    ... I think this is not about firewall port blocking, ... > SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ... deployed on that server - it has something to do with ports on the firewall ... environment to our production environment. ...
  • Re: Cant replicate between two servers
    ... yes i check to ports in the firewall and it's all opened ... Ping only ... > appropriate permissions to access SQL Server and of course, the ports must ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
  • Re: Can SQL be told to stop listening on specific IPs on its computer ?
    ... ports on the firewall or in packet filtering on the OS network control ... >> In terms of the IPs and the web addresses, ... >> and SQL Server installed on the same server? ... >>>to tell SQL server what IPs and ports to listen on. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: SQL Server Specific Windows Firewall Exception
    ... their network (and I'm not talking ZoneAlarm, McAfee Personal Firewall, here. ... Microsoft don't have a problem with it considering the exceptions ... Windows Firewall to enable remote access and administration to a SQL Server ... So, if we put aside the whole automatic open ports distraction, wouldn't it ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)