MDAC 2.5 Buffer Overrun with long servernames?

From: news@news.com
Date: 02/25/03

From: <news@news.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:42:36 -0800

Sorry for the independant cross post, also posted in .connect and
public.odbc

I think we have uncovered a bug in MDAC 2.5 and 2.5 SP1 -

Connecting to servernames that are 32 characters long with a standard
connection using ODBC/TCPIP with MDAC 2.5RTM or SP1 results in a bad login
packets sent to sql, most likely the result of a buffer overrun.

OLEDB provider correctly identifies a string truncation, ODBC does not.

MDAC 2.6SP1/SP2 seems to work, as well as trusted connections with TCP/IP
MDAC 2.5, but this may be resulted from the length of the connection string
being shorter w/out credentials.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Strange Invalid Connection Error
    ... Have you tried using the MDAC Component Checker to determine which version of ADO is loaded on the machines? ... > To start the application you have to "sign in" to the SQL Server database ... > 2147418113 DBNMPNTW Invalid Connection ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)
  • Re: MDAC 2.5 Buffer Overrun with long servernames?
    ... I've posted this in the SQL Server MVP forum. ... > connection using ODBC/TCPIP with MDAC 2.5RTM or SP1 results in a bad login ... > OLEDB provider correctly identifies a string truncation, ... > MDAC 2.6SP1/SP2 seems to work, as well as trusted connections with TCP/IP ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Any help here???
    ... >> could think of off hand for installing MDAC is for any old COM ... >> then what does your connection string and connection object look like? ... >> people who are posting here are NOT Microsoft employees. ...
  • Re: vb6 access to access DB does not work under xp sp2
    ... the type of connection. ... Post replies to the newsgroup. ... What version of ADO are you referencing in your VB project? ... What version of ADO (or MDAC) is installed on the WinXP box? ...
  • Re: "MDAC required" but its installed...
    ... I also have just started to experience the MDAC required messages even ... I can connect using the OracleClient Connection objects but not the ... > tionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)