Re: is_member returns 0 even if user is a member of a db role

From: Travis Reeder (travis.reeder@netregulus.com)
Date: 02/24/03

From: "Travis Reeder" <travis.reeder@netregulus.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:25:32 -0800

I agree in theory, but we have an application where we
just want to know if they belong to a database role and I
think the expected outcome should be 1 if they truely
belong to the database role. Now we have to use
IS_SRVROLEMEMBER in addition to the IS_MEMBER function.

Travis.
the
>Fixed Server Role System Administrators then it's really
>irrelevant if you are a member of other roles. It will
have no
>impact on your effective rights. IS_MEMBER() is usually
>used for checking whether a user has the necessary role
>membership to perform a function. If you are a sysadmin
>then that is irrelevant as there is nothing you can't do.
>
>--
>HTH
>
>Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
>
>I support PASS - the definitive, global
>community for SQL Server professionals -
>http://www.sqlpass.org
>
>"Travis Reeder" <travis.reeder@netregulus.com> wrote in
message
>> I a user belongs to the server role 'System
>> Administrators' and that user also belongs to a database
>> role - let's say 'sys_DataEntry' and you use the
>> function 'is_member('sys_DataEntry') it is returning 0.
>> If you take the user out of the server role 'System
>> Administrator' it returns the correct result 1. Is
this a
>> known bug?
>>
>> Travis
>

>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: is_member returns 0 even if user is a member of a db role
    ... just want to know if they belong to a database role and I ... belong to the database role. ... >Fixed Server Role System Administrators then it's really ... >> Administrators' and that user also belongs to a database ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: is_member returns 0 even if user is a member of a db role
    ... result regardless of whether you are a sysadmin ... > belong to the database role. ... >>Fixed Server Role System Administrators then it's really ... >>> Administrators' and that user also belongs to a database ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: is_member returns 0 even if user is a member of a db role
    ... result regardless of whether you are a sysadmin ... > belong to the database role. ... >>Fixed Server Role System Administrators then it's really ... >>> Administrators' and that user also belongs to a database ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • RE: Adding members to User defined role while not dbo.
    ... Server Role: Security Administrator ... Database role: BasicUser, ... he adds the new user to the specified database and then ... can assigns the membership of the user defined database role. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: roles
    ... Server Role: ... The scope of the role is ... limited to the SQL Server instance in which it is defined. ... Database Role: ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)