Registry permissions getting reset on restart

From: Brian Noyes (
Date: 02/13/03

From: "Brian Noyes" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:58:26 -0800

I have been having a problem ever since I installed SP3 on two different
machines. The problem is that the permissions on the
HKLM\Software\Descriptions key and subkeys seemed to be getting reset to no
permissions for anyone. This resulted in "Registry access denied" errors
every time I tried to open a SQL connection from code in .NET.

I used RegMon to see what is going on and it looks like the sqlserver
service is recreating those keys every time I restart the system and is
apparently not reseting the permissions.

Anyone know why this is and how I can keep it from happening?