Registry permissions getting reset on restart

From: Brian Noyes (
Date: 02/13/03

From: "Brian Noyes" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:58:26 -0800

I have been having a problem ever since I installed SP3 on two different
machines. The problem is that the permissions on the
HKLM\Software\Descriptions key and subkeys seemed to be getting reset to no
permissions for anyone. This resulted in "Registry access denied" errors
every time I tried to open a SQL connection from code in .NET.

I used RegMon to see what is going on and it looks like the sqlserver
service is recreating those keys every time I restart the system and is
apparently not reseting the permissions.

Anyone know why this is and how I can keep it from happening?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to modify program files in Vista?
    ... create it within HKLM and change the permissions. ... INI files have the advantage that most users with access to notepad can ... Security policies ... We were writing a module that validated device drivers found on target machines against ...
  • Re: Windows user controls in a web page: Security
    ... I then tried on more machines (I was using 3 real ... Create a windows user control, ... Select the permissions your control will need and then click "Add ... use "URL", for example, to only authorize assemblies coming from one URL. ...
  • Re: Publishing Software...
    ... I may have to recant my thoughts about it being a permissions issue, ... domain workstation security policy and then lock it down and reapply that. ... >> Are the users on the machines in question, members of the local Administrators group?? ... >> User Rights configuration was completed with one or more errors. ...
  • Re: ubuntu xp vmware cluster
    ... virtual machines. ... The common workspace should be accessible no matter ... I've tried the built-in file sharing but it fails because permissions ... I tried Samba but I could not get ubuntu to consistently ...
  • Re: Access Denied and Lack of Permission in XP Pro Home Network
    ... >There is a problem with access and permissions with our home netwrok. ... After installing through the XP network wizard, all machines may see the ... Are you entering "ping othercomputer" in a command window? ...