Re: AUTHENTICATION TO APPLY SP3

From: Jim K. (jking@shumakerengineering.com)
Date: 02/08/03

From: "Jim K." <jking@shumakerengineering.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:31:29 -0800

I have made all of the recommended changes, but still
cannot get past the validation portion of the SP3
installation.

 - I installed MDAC 2.7 SP1
 - Replaced the dbmslpcn.dll in my system32 dir with the
one in SP3
 - I added the value DSQUERY > DBNETLIB to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\
ConnectTo\
 - I have tried to run it as the administrator account on
the local machine
- tried the sa password validation
- I ran Sqlredis.exe. (although it didnt appear to do
much, just unpack and quit)

But I think my problem is before the validation window,
in the Named Instance window. I cannot choose a named
instance. The check-box is greyed out, it will not allow
me to change it from the default instance.

Any idea why this is?

Thanks in advance.

opinion, but if it were
>me, I'd probably try updating to MDAC 2.7 SP1 manually,
rebooting the
>computer, and trying to install SP3 again. :-)
Sqlredis.exe does this and is
>in the x86\other directory where you expanded the
service pack download.

>DSQUERY is indeed a string value.
>
>Hope this helps!
>Stephen Dybing, Microsoft

confers no rights.
>Please reply to the newsgroups only, thanks.
>
>"Jim K" <jking@shumakerengineering.com> wrote in message
>> I am receiving the same error.
>>
>> I went to apply the fix recommended below, but I do not
>> have the value DSQUERY. Could that be my problem?
>> Should I add this value (as a string I assume)?
>>
>> Additionally, When I apply the patch it asks me to
choose
>> an instance if SQL. I only have one instance of SQL
>> installed, however it is named. When I get to this
screen
>> in the patch intall, I do not have the option to change
>> it from default to my named instance. The option is
>> greyed-out. Is this ok, or should I be able to change
it?

>> Thanks in advance.

you're
>> not getting any
>> >error message at all, you're probably running MDAC 2.6
>> and you need check
>> >the following registry key:
>> >

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\
>> ConnectTo\DSQUERY
>> >
>> >Set it to DBNETLIB if it's currently set to anything
>> else.
>> >
>> >If you're getting an error message about setup being
>> unable to validate you,
>> >try replacing the current dbmslpcn.dll file with the
one
>> from SP3 and try
>> >running setup again. This is usually in the
>> windows\system32 directory.
>> >
>> >Hope this helps!
>> >Stephen Dybing
>> >
>> >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and
>> confers no rights.
>> >Please reply to the newsgroups only, thanks.
>> >
>> >"Joe D" <jdanajovits@cabreraservices.com> wrote in
>> message

get