Re: AUTHENTICATION TO APPLY SP3

From: Jim K. (jking@shumakerengineering.com)
Date: 02/08/03

From: "Jim K." <jking@shumakerengineering.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:31:29 -0800

I have made all of the recommended changes, but still
cannot get past the validation portion of the SP3
installation.

 - I installed MDAC 2.7 SP1
 - Replaced the dbmslpcn.dll in my system32 dir with the
one in SP3
 - I added the value DSQUERY > DBNETLIB to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\
ConnectTo\
 - I have tried to run it as the administrator account on
the local machine
- tried the sa password validation
- I ran Sqlredis.exe. (although it didnt appear to do
much, just unpack and quit)

But I think my problem is before the validation window,
in the Named Instance window. I cannot choose a named
instance. The check-box is greyed out, it will not allow
me to change it from the default instance.

Any idea why this is?

Thanks in advance.

opinion, but if it were
>me, I'd probably try updating to MDAC 2.7 SP1 manually,
rebooting the
>computer, and trying to install SP3 again. :-)
Sqlredis.exe does this and is
>in the x86\other directory where you expanded the
service pack download.

>DSQUERY is indeed a string value.
>
>Hope this helps!
>Stephen Dybing, Microsoft

confers no rights.
>Please reply to the newsgroups only, thanks.
>
>"Jim K" <jking@shumakerengineering.com> wrote in message
>> I am receiving the same error.
>>
>> I went to apply the fix recommended below, but I do not
>> have the value DSQUERY. Could that be my problem?
>> Should I add this value (as a string I assume)?
>>
>> Additionally, When I apply the patch it asks me to
choose
>> an instance if SQL. I only have one instance of SQL
>> installed, however it is named. When I get to this
screen
>> in the patch intall, I do not have the option to change
>> it from default to my named instance. The option is
>> greyed-out. Is this ok, or should I be able to change
it?

>> Thanks in advance.

you're
>> not getting any
>> >error message at all, you're probably running MDAC 2.6
>> and you need check
>> >the following registry key:
>> >

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\
>> ConnectTo\DSQUERY
>> >
>> >Set it to DBNETLIB if it's currently set to anything
>> else.
>> >
>> >If you're getting an error message about setup being
>> unable to validate you,
>> >try replacing the current dbmslpcn.dll file with the
one
>> from SP3 and try
>> >running setup again. This is usually in the
>> windows\system32 directory.
>> >
>> >Hope this helps!
>> >Stephen Dybing
>> >
>> >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and
>> confers no rights.
>> >Please reply to the newsgroups only, thanks.
>> >
>> >"Joe D" <jdanajovits@cabreraservices.com> wrote in
>> message

get

>> >.
>> >

>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MDAC install fails?
    ... Check the MDAC versions present following the instructions in this KB ... You may need to restore the key after SP3 installation completes. ... Try executing the MDAC setup manually, then redoing the SP3 setup. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Is WinXP Sp3 update necessary?
    ... - Whom told you that SP3 was for improved security? ... SP1a and SP2. ... Also - you eliminate any strange download ... installation and update of the SP3 is something of concern. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • I experienced the same situtation
    ... Most likely after installation of SP3 ... uninstall all usb device and restart ... since USB connectivity is constantly disrupted. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: SP3 and beethov9 silliness
    ... I DID RESOLVE this SP3 installation on a XP Home PC using a suggestion from ... Log on as Administrator in SAFE MODE. ... If you disable a third-party firewall, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WUD or MUD repeatedly tells me that there are no available upd
    ... I could not uninstall SP3 because the uninstaller could not ... how to uninstall and of the 4 methods, ... uninstall it and enable the Windows Firewall at this point! ... It may take 1-2 hours for the installation to complete so ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)