Re: Firewall settings choices

From: Denny (
Date: 02/05/03

From: "Denny" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:12:55 -0800

Someone is deffently trying to get into your machine. It sounds like you
have auditing turned on, which is good. Setup your firewall to only allow
the web server to access TCP port 1433 on the SQL Server. Allow no other
access from the internet to the SQL Server. This will block the attempt to
connect to your SQL Server. This is the most secure option. sqlagent.exe
doesn't need access to anything, and nothing needs access to it.
sqlmangr.exe is the little icon in your systray that had the green arrow in
it (on the SQL Server). It needs access to nothing, and nothing needs
access to it. osql is a command program so that you can run queries against
the server from dos. It doesn't need access to anything, and nothing needs
access to it.

I hope this helps.

Denny Cherry
Database Administrator
GameSpy Industries
"Fox" <> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Being a noobie to SQL server, I need some simple advice.
> I need to choose access settings in my firewall for the
> following files.
> sqlservr.exe
> sqlmangr.exe
> sqlagent.exe
> Being on a small and simple server configuration, I actually
> use Zonealarm Pro and it works, no laughing please !
> I have a small lan and I am the only one who manages
> the server. The server is only accessed via a web site
> and it is only accessed for retrieving and storing DATA.
> The access choices are
> Access Out   ..... trusted    and or   Internet
> Server          ...... trusted    and or   Internet
> Any other advice, such as port limitations would be welcomed
> as well. If it matters port-wise, access is to the general public.
> Thanks,
> Fox

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Check if a form has changed since it was last saved
    ... and going to a fox back end is going to be more reliable. ... letting ms-access do a NATIVE update to a mdb file. ... extra ADO layer, and I am quite sure that NO sql statements need be ... You could use that time to migrate to sql server. ...
  • Re: Connectivity Issues - Bizzare
    ... Sounds like firewall to me. ... >I am trying to connect to a default instance of SQL Server 2000 Enterprise ... I create a SqlDataAdapter on the web form, ... I take the same connection string from the web app, ...
  • Re: I have a matter with symantec enterprise firewall
    ... A SQL Server exposed to the Internet at large? ... Symantec Enterprise ... must, put the PRODUCTION SQL Server outside the enterprise firewall (i.e., ...
  • Re: SQL Server / Firewall Security
    ... Below is a link to the thread Denny referred to. ... SQL Server MVP ... > database for us to search the similar help. ... >>> can be any type of firewall not necessarily ISA, ...
  • Re: How to make different instances of SQL Server visible to each other?
    ... that although ICMP was working the host refused to establish connections to the VPC if they used Shared networking and not NAT. ... Is the firewall on each computer configured to allow access through TCP port 1433? ... Check using the SQL Server Surface Area Configuration tool. ...