Re: Job Error. Need help ASAP.

From: Denny (mrdenny@gamespy.com)
Date: 02/05/03

From: "Denny" <mrdenny@gamespy.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 11:08:20 -0800

Dane,
Your on the correct track. When you run a DTS package through EM you are
running the package on your workstation. All the connections are made from
your workstation, and all the commands are exectued from your workstation.
Open the DTS package on the console of the server on your local network and
run it. If it can't connect to the server on the DMZ then have your
security people open the correct ports (1433). You can also test
connectivity by opening a dos window and telnetting to port 1433 on the DMZ
server from the LAN server. This will tell you if the port is open.

--
Denny Cherry
Database Administrator
"Dane Jurkovic" <Dane.Jurkovic@Lan-Apps.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know what could be my problem here?
>
> Let me explain..
>
> I have two servers, one in a DMZ and the other on our
> local network. I have a DTS package running every night
> form the server on the DMZ. I can verify this by looking
> in the jobs. Here is the kicker. I can run the DTS
> package from Enterprise Manager (EM) and the package
> works just fine. But, every night the "job" fails (job
> error below). The job is running under the SA account so
> it has the permissions but fails. I am thinking that it
> could be something with the firewall between the DMZ and
> the local network. Some port that is being blocked or
> something. Does anyone know if "jobs" are using a special
> port or something? The reason why I am going down this
> path is that using EM and sitting on the local network I
> must be acting as some kind of "middle" man and that is
> why the DTS package is working when I fire it off. But,
> when the server in the DMZ is doing all the work there is
> no middle man helping it out. I.e. I can see the server
> in the DMZ and it can see the server on the local network
> through me. I know, sounds dumb. But, that is all I can
> think the problem could be some port being blocked on the
> firewall. Any help would be so wonderful.
>
> *******************
> Start Of Job Error
> *******************
> DTSRun:  Loading...
> Error:  -2147008507 (80074005);
> Provider Error:  0 (0)
> Error string:  Unspecified error
> Error source:  Microsoft Data Transformation Services
> (DTS) Package
> Help file:  sqldts.hlp
> Help context:  713
> Error:  -2147467259 (80004005);
> Provider Error:  1326 (52E)
> Error string:  Client unable to establish connection
> Error source:  Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL
> Server
> Help file:        Help context:  0
> Error:  -2147467259 (80004005);
> Provider Error:  1326 (52E)
> Error string:  [DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile
> ()).
> Error source:  Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL
> Server
> Help file:
> Help context:  0.  Process Exit Code 1.  The step failed.
> *****************
> End Of Job Error
> *****************
>
> Thanks,
> Dane-

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Connecting using Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2 (AS/400 TCP/IP)
    ... a DTS package to import some data from an AS/400. ... > address and port in the TCP/IP Network Settings dialog. ... > In all cases I get the same result when I press the Test Connection button. ... > should be a server specific error, but I cannot find that in the IBM ...
    (microsoft.public.data.oledb)
  • Re: Error running DTS package on a schedule (only!)
    ... I use Remote Desktop to access the server where the DTS package was ... > Right Click on the SQL Server Agent icon in EM and choose properties. ... > page here will tell you the account. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)
  • "Failed" Job runs DTS package
    ... pulls new data from a database on a different server. ... Now the DTS Package completes, but the Job says it failed. ... DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2 DTSRun OnFinish: ... DTSStep_DTSExecuteSQLTask_2 DTSRun OnStart: ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)
  • Re: DTS Tasks running in job random failure
    ... > then uninstalled (created a unforseen problem on the server). ... > a lookup, which I'd like to follow Microsoft's advice for a workaround to ... > Job now running is one Job executing one DTS Package that executes 6 DTS ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)
  • Re: Scheduled DTS Package
    ... >The datapump tasks are copying data from an Oracle DB server to my SQL ... Make sure the driver is correctly installed on the server and is ... available for the SQL Server Agent service account. ... How to Run a DTS Package as a Scheduled Job ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.dts)