SQL2000 Network encryption

From: Lionel Johnson (ljohnson@sterling1.com)
Date: 12/21/02

From: "Lionel Johnson" <ljohnson@sterling1.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 19:20:02 -0800

Hi:
Am I right in believing that although the Multiprotocol
net library available with SQL2K supports encryption,
SQL2K itself does not actually use that encryption even
if it is turned on in the Server Network Utility?
When I selected multiprotocol and enabled encryption,
everything worked, except that the traffic across the
network was not encrypted.

Therefore, is it correct that the only encryption
available with SQL2K (as opposed to SQL 7) is SSL based
and therefore needs a server certificate?

Thanks
Lionel

Relevant Pages

  • RE: SQL2000 Network encryption
    ... non-SSL encryption, and sniff the network traffic, I see non-encrypted ... restarted SQL server. ... Please note that the link you quoted referring to multiprotocol ... encryption does in fact refer to SQL7 and makes no mention of SQL2K ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: SQL2000 Network encryption
    ... SQL2000 default instances support multiprotocol ... need to make sure that the client is using it as well i.e. ... multiprotocol when I was testing various encryption ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • URGENT PLS HELP: Sql 7 Encryption
    ... server using multiprotocol as explained in BOL. ... encryption on the server, or adding the key ... security/Encrypt on the client. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • RE: SSL Security Error
    ... " I checked 'force encryption' for 'server network utility' ... and restarted SQL 2000 enterprise server. ... Once you enable force protocol encryption using Server Network Utility ... certificate on a Cluster you're stuck. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • RE: communication encryption questions
    ... if i turn on encryption in the server network utility, ... will all tcp/ip traffic from these other apps become encrypted? ... enable Force Protocol encryption at the client or change the connection ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)