Application Roles

From: Gary Murphy (grmurphy@newfoundlandpower.com)
Date: 12/17/02

From: "Gary Murphy" <grmurphy@newfoundlandpower.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 05:44:03 -0800

I have a question concerning SQL Server Application
roles. I want to use application roles in a new
application we are developing inorder to prevent users
from using tools like SQL analyzer or MS access from
accessing the database directly.

I don't like the idea of hardcoding a password in the
application code for the application role.

Any suggestions on how I can use "application roles" and
somehow encrypt the password so it doesn't show up in the
application code?

Thanks...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Encryption...
    ... >> One of our clients just implemented wiCrypt from www.whamware.com. ... >>> I know this could easily be done with logins and built in SQL ... >>> I am in a situation where others can administer the SQL server with ... I need to somehow encrypt the data and then somehow ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: return yesterdays date?
    ... Are you using SQL Server? ... > I am using a SQL statement through an ODBC driver to return the records ... > Instead of hardcoding the date, I'd like some code that would evaluate to ...
    (microsoft.public.data.odbc)