Re: SQL Default Login?

From: Dan Guzman (danguzman@nospam-earthlink.net)
Date: 11/14/02

From: "Dan Guzman" <danguzman@nospam-earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:46:42 -0600

The guest database user provides logins with a security context when
they haven't been explicitly granted database access. This is needed
for master and tempdb so that you don't need to grant every login access
to these shared databases.

You can ignore the default login reported by xp_loginconfig. This is
not related to the guest database user and is provided only for
backwards compatibility.

--
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
"Audrey Lim" <robwhitz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I executed the stored procedure 'xp_loginconfig' in the
> Master Database.  It shows that the default login for the
> database is guest user.  I understand that the guest user
> can be deleted and added to all databases except master
> and tempdb, where it must always exist.
>
> A few questions:-
> - What is the main purpose of guest in both master and
> tempdb?
> - Can I change the default login to another account in
> both master database without revoking the guest user?
>
> I would appreciate any advise on the above questions.
>
> Thanks,
> Audrey

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows Power User SQL
    ... The guest user must have connect permission in master and tempdb. ... When I run from the master database for example testing against user bill ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • New Login Question
    ... I have been programming with Sql Server 2000 for 2-3 years ... I noticed that at the bottom of the New login dialog there ... One selects a database to log in to ... dropdown always has master listed. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • New Login Question
    ... The database login ... >dropdown always has master listed. ... >what is the significance of the database dropdown on the ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: SQL Default Login?
    ... A user needs a valid account (SQL Server login, ... the user can access only those database they ... have been explicitly granted access to plus those with the guest user. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Guest Account
    ... The guest accout is a way for people to access a database - NOT the sever. ... There is no login that is directly associated with guest... ... As for the guest account in Northwind/Pubs - yes, ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)