Re: SQL Server & SSL

From: Peter Borg (peter@grouptech.com)
Date: 10/31/02

From: "Peter Borg" <peter@grouptech.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:30:41 -0800

Sue,

I too am searching for a solution to this issue - I posted
the "how to generate a CSR from SQL" post yesterday. The
two articles you reference in you response to Antonio only
work if you are running a certificate server on your
internal network. I am trying to use a Verisign
certificate and need SQL to generate a CSR (Certificate
Signing Request). Are you aware of how to do this when the
certificate authority is a third-party vendor? The best
option I have found is to install IIS on the SQL Server,
use IIS to generate the CSR, and then uninstall IIS. This
method will allow for the correct fully qualified domain
name on the certificate. However, I am hoping for a
cleaner solution.

Peter