Re: SQL Server & SSL

From: Peter Borg (peter@grouptech.com)
Date: 10/31/02

From: "Peter Borg" <peter@grouptech.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:30:41 -0800

Sue,

I too am searching for a solution to this issue - I posted
the "how to generate a CSR from SQL" post yesterday. The
two articles you reference in you response to Antonio only
work if you are running a certificate server on your
internal network. I am trying to use a Verisign
certificate and need SQL to generate a CSR (Certificate
Signing Request). Are you aware of how to do this when the
certificate authority is a third-party vendor? The best
option I have found is to install IIS on the SQL Server,
use IIS to generate the CSR, and then uninstall IIS. This
method will allow for the correct fully qualified domain
name on the certificate. However, I am hoping for a
cleaner solution.

Peter

Relevant Pages

  • Error during pre-login handshake: SSL certificates and IIS?!
    ... After rebooting the server, people were telling me that SQL wasn't working anymore. ... If I'd be installing a new certificate, manually, I think I would break up again the SQL... ... Scott wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: ssl renewal questions
    ... Just on the server which I guess explains the clients being able to ... the certificate is invalid ... >> but connections continue to be encrypted and restarts of sql ... >>> appears that I had to stop and restart the sql process to get certs ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: ssl renewal questions
    ... > a year on a test server and check the certificate using the ... > certificates mmc snap-in, the certificate shows up as expired ... > but connections continue to be encrypted and restarts of sql ... If a cert expires, do subsequent ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Running into a roadblock when using execute as and sys.databas
    ... EXECUTE AS procedure. ... you need the server-level permission VIEW SERVER STATE. ... That is, instead of signing P with a certificate, do ... Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: SQL Encryption