Re: sa account - hpw to reset a 'compromised' pw

From: Alan Dean (a.r.dean@bham.ac.uk)
Date: 10/28/02

From: "Alan Dean" <a.r.dean@bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 01:21:37 -0800

helps:
>http://vyaskn.tripod.com/administration_faq.htm#q9

Narayana (and Uttam in follow up),

  Thanks for suggestions. OS is Win2k. MSDE is I think
msde2 (bundled with Altiris Deployment Server). Problem is
that I can't (it seems) run Query Analyzer from msde nor
will command-line stings such as sp_password be
recognised. All I can do (in theory) is run things like
sp_pasword as parameters form an osql command but that in
itself requires providing the sa password on the command
line (or some other admin password which does not exist).
Clearly, I can't do that because that's the essence of the
problem - the p/w has been (re)set by a third-party (i.e.
a 'worm'). If there *is* any way of running QA or
sp_password from this 'basic' msde setup (i.e. outside
osql or without the sa password on the command line) I'd
be very grateful for details.

        regards, Alan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Failure to Login
    ... I had already checked the Registry ... At a command prompt, if I ... the MSDE was install with OS Authentication. ... >is the default setup for the SQL Server 2000 Data Engine.) ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • RE: MSDE - Cannont install newbie question
    ... > the following command... ... >>an error message saying that SQL server does not exist or ... So I downloaded the MSDE and unzipped to a folder. ... >>Since I'm the pc's admin with no other accounts I figured ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • Re: Copying database from one instance to another
    ... > Being new to MSDE is this something that would be done from the ... > command line? ... What would the syntax be? ... able to connect to SQL Server, as, for SQL Server 2005, SQLCMD.exe, a ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • Re: Cannot Install DB
    ... So perhaps you are not connected to the MSDE rathjer than to a SQL Server. ... If you issue the command ... >> HTH, Jens Suessmeyer. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • RE: MSDE, Access, SharePoint... I am not sure where to ask this qu
    ... 1.>> What is the difference between MSDE and WMSDE? ... MSDE that is targeted for use by Windows components only. ... isn't SQL Server Express replacing MSDE and WMSDE? ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)