Re: Security and Authentication Mode

From: BP Margolin (
Date: 10/27/02

From: "BP Margolin" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:57:19 -0500

The authentication mode of SQL Server is stored in the registry, and a
restart of SQL Server is necessary for the change in authentication mode to
be effective. Thus there really is, IMHO, no good reason for a T-SQL script
to be doing this, although you can certainly use the undocumented extended
stored procedures xp_regread and xp_regwrite to read and write registry

Why not just use Enterprise Manager to change the authentication mode?

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

"Gidi Ehrenhalt" <> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I set-up SQL Server on a new machine. The Authentication
> mode at the Security tab of the SQL Server Properties is
> set to "windows only".
> Is there a way to change it to "SQL Server and Windows"
> using a script (transact SQL)?
> If I leave it as it is I get an error, when trying to
> connect: "Login failed. Reason: Not associated with a
> trusted SQL Server connection".
> Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Permission problem
    ... SQL Server has two Authentication mode: ... mixed mode (Windows and SQL Server). ... One of my costumers have a program that connects to a servers MSDE ...
  • Answer: Access creates DB in MSDE in SQL Server Authentication mod
    ... I've confirmed that MS Access will create an ADP project in MSDE only if the server is set to Mixed (SQL Server and Windows) authentication mode. ...
  • Re: Trusted Sql Server Connection
    ... Usually, when one gets this message, it means that you have your SQL Server instance in Windows Authentication mode, rather than in Mixed Authentication mode. ...
  • Re: security
    ... using Windows Authentication. ... SQL Server has two authentication mode: ... Server however he need to be assigned more sql server permissions to ...
  • RE: How to access SQL Server from a non-privileged domain account
    ... account to be able to access the SQL Server. ... Since your SQL Server 2005 has been running with Windows Authentication ... Contact your network administrator to add your domain account to the ... Change your SQL Server 2005 authentication mode to Mix mode so that you ...