Re: Security Issue

From: Kimberly L. Tripp (Kimberly@nospam.sqlskills.com)
Date: 10/18/02

From: "Kimberly L. Tripp" <Kimberly@nospam.sqlskills.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:02:56 -0700

First, the only type of activity that you can monitor AFTER the fact is data
modification/object creation, etc. activity. Query activity is NOT logged in
the transaction log.

However, having said that - you can only get information from the
transaction log with 3rd party tools like Lumigent's Log Explorer
(www.lumigent.com)

BUT - I'm not sure of the versions they support prior to SQL Server 2000...
I think you're only options for 6.5 for after the fact would be 3rd party
tools. See if Lumigent has a version for 6.5 - not sure???

IF you truly want to log and monitor activity then you need to think a bit
about it and then setup a "trace" with SQL Trace (that was in 6.5) or
Profiler for 7.0+. I don't remember much about this in 6.5. Check out the
BOL for more info...

For more informaiton on Profiler check out the following webcast
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q325263 and the BOL.

hth,
kt

Kimberly L. Tripp
********************
Please do not send mail to me directly - reply on the newsgroup.
Please include legible and tested code samples (and ddl if possible!). This
makes it easier to test and answer your questions. Thanks!

"Emad Elmagrisy" <emad.elmagrisy@au.towerlimited.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to find out who logged to a particular
> database in the SQL Server 6.5 and view activities done
> on that particular database.
>
> Thanks
>
> Emad

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Transaction log problems
    ... IF you have to shrink a database or file it ... sure that you get that database backup on tape or to another machine. ... > We are using SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, ... > One of the databases has recently begun showing large growth of the> transaction log and it is causing us some problems. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Transaction Log Size
    ... listed in my article has detailed info on shrinking of the transaction log. ... Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP ... > (database + transaction log) with fake appended to the name. ... >> CommVault to backup the backup files. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Transaction log problems
    ... We are using SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, ... transaction log and it is causing us some problems. ... Because the database is used by the third party software, ... transaction log file and I would not have to monitor it so closely. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: Transaction Log Size
    ... Backup database does not empty the transaction log files. ... How to Shrink the SQL Server 7.0 Transaction Log ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)
  • Re: 1105 - log file getting full - SQL Server 6.5
    ... Follow Hari's instructions, backup the transaction log on a regular basis, ... Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP ... > Can't allocate space for object 'Syslogs' in database ''corp'' because ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)