Re: Security in Linked Servers

From: Russell Fields (rlfields@sprynet.com)
Date: 10/16/02

From: "Russell Fields" <rlfields@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:05:32 -0400

Terry,

Have you followed the step in this topic in BOL:

How to add a linked server login (Enterprise Manager)

If so, did you enter a remote user and password or did you turn on the
impersonate check box?

Russell Fields
"Terry" <trohrer@autocontroltech.com> wrote in message
I consistantly get the Error 18456: Login Failed message
when trying to link servers. I've tried it in different
scenerios, including linking 2 servers on the same machine
running under the same login with identical SQL security
accounts/settings and still I get this message. I've
tried setting up the security mapping in several different
ways. I get the Error 18456 in the Enterprise Manager
when I try to refresh the tables under the security then
the linked sub-tree and when I try to SELECT from a table
in the Linked Server. Any ideas.

Thanks,
Terry

Relevant Pages

  • Re: deny select on linked server
    ... Here is a way to disable one login from using the linked server, while allowing all other logins through. ... -- Grant the excluded login rights to login with a non-existing login and password ... In the radio buttons below, select "Be made using the login's current security context" ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Security in Linked Servers
    ... >How to add a linked server login ... >tried setting up the security mapping in several different ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Linked Server Connection Error: 18459
    ... I cannot execute the sqlcmd query against the linked server from sqlServer A to sqlServer B but I can run the linked server query from B to A. ... Login failed for user xxxxx\yyyyy. ... I do notice that the login is trying to connect to the master database via the linked server connection however this login is actually defauted to another user database. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • SQL2K - Linked server - Mapping Windows group to a remote login
    ... My application uses an NT authentification login via a Windows group, ... I've a linked server (Oracle), ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: linked server login problem... with a particular login... on a particular box
    ... I don't really need a fix for this anyomore as I've found a workaround and ... I had opened Query Analyzer under ... Neither of which has an existing Login on the Linked Server ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.server)