Re: MSSQL Server 7.0 SP4 latest security patch

From: Arvind Krishnan[MS] (arvindk@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/15/02

From: "Arvind Krishnan[MS]" <arvindk@online.microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:32:21 -0700

Lena,
Yes, you need to apply the NT 4.0 server fix when you install this security
patch. The order of applying these fixes should not matter.

As for your second question, here is the list of security patches that were
released recently:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/current.asp
?frame=true

--
Thanks,
Arvind Krishnan
"Lena" <lenaglozman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm planning to apply security patch to SQL
> Server 7.0 SP4 running on Windows NT SP6.
> In Microsoft document Q327068  there is a note:
> If you are running Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Service
> Pack 6, you must apply the hotfix that is described in the
> following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: Q258437".
>
> My question is:
> Do we have to apply security patch first to Windows NT
> server and then to SQL Server 7 SP4?
> Also when this NT server fix was issued? Just to verify if
> this fix has been installed previously.
>
> Also is there security patch for Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6
> itself issued recently on October 2nd? And if yes,does
> this patch needs to be applied prior to SQL Server 7 patch?
> Thanks,
> Lena
> .

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Getting Off the Patch
    ... better than not patching. ... patch on one of our web servers which ran IIS 5.0 on Windows 2000. ... server because of this specific patch missing. ... security standpoint, it either has to be controlled or trusted. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: WARNING: IE Security update KB963027 Breaks Companyweb (SBS 20
    ... patch that could be applied to a system. ... It requires a person to install *on the server* IE7 and then pass on related ... The hotfix changes some core DLL's to fix security flaw in IE. ... proper testing. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • [NEWS] Remote Novell Netware Manager Security Issue
    ... Beyond Security would like to welcome Tiscali World Online ... Do not install on a NetWare 4.x or 6.x server. ... This patch MAY work on earlier NetWare 5.1 support pack releases, however, ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: WARNING: IE Security update KB963027 Breaks Companyweb (SBS 2003)
    ... But what I was trying to convey is that because this *was* a security patch, MS has to support it all the way back to SBS2k3 RTM, not just the current SP as per their product support lifecycle. ... It requires a person to install *on the server* IE7 and then pass on related updates, which I would argue is probably a significant edge-case. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • MS issues bum security patch, contradicts self
    ... MS issues bum security patch, ... "Without exploit code, how do we ensure that the patches actually work," ... server down, but a simple re-boot is all that's needed to bring things back. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)