Re: SQL Server registration failed because of the connection failure displayed below

From: linda deng[MS] (lideng@online.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/25/02

From: lideng@online.microsoft.com (linda deng[MS])
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:47:12 GMT

Hi Peter,

Since you have configured the authentication mode as 'SQL Server and
Windows' authentication in the security tab, you should also set it in the
'Edit SQL Server registration Properties' window. Once you have chosen the
'Use SQL Server authentication' option, the 'Login Name' and 'password'
will be enabled. You should specify the account and password there, which
is the standard account of the SQL Server like 'sa' and others created as
'SQL Server Authentication' in the Enterprise Manager (EM). They are
different from the Windows account, for example, 'SPECIALTY\pafo' and
'Administrator'. You can try to add a new login by expanding
security\logins in EM.

The authentication mode 'SQL Server and Windows' support two authentication
methods. You can specify the standard account after selecting 'SQL Server
authentication'. Or, you can select 'Windows authentication' which doesn't
require you to specify the account, because it authenticates with the
account which you login on the operating system.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Linda Deng
Microsoft Support Engineer

  • Re: Login failed for ServerGuest
    ... | guest and the use of the same account/password does not ... |>I think it is not a limitation in Windows 2000. ... |>use same password for Administrator account on both Win2000 and WinXP ... although Windows Authentication is more secure than ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: User authentication
    ... With Windows authentication, ... an account is a member of Domain Admins. ... Windows account instead to run backup jobs. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clients)
  • Re: Remote connection failed
    ... If you are going over a remote connection or are not logging ... into the domain where SQL Server is then no, Windows ... authentication won't work. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
  • Re: User authentication
    ... Server Agent service account. ... What I want to do is configure scheduled backup. ... However, if possible, I would like to use Windows authentication as opposed ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.clients)
  • RE: Adding a virtual FTP folder to IIS
    ... I think we can follow the Form Authentication modal. ... application will use the ASPNET account. ... If we change the username ... Windows identity different from that of the default process identity. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.framework)