Re: question about patching MSDE 2000

From: Luca Pugliese (luca_pugliese@virgilio.it)
Date: 07/16/02

From: "Luca Pugliese" <luca_pugliese@virgilio.it>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:20:39 -0700

a named instance?

No, it's not a named istance. As I said clearly, it's just
a default istance installed on a drive different than C:.
To install a named istance MS documentation says to add to
the setup.ini the line 'INSTANCENAME="MyInstance"' and I
didn't do it.

>There's a specific note in the sp2 readme.txt for the
MSDE download that
>when you get that error you need to order a CD from
Microsoft in order to
>apply the service pack.

I assure you that I read the readme.txt thoroughly, but it
tells that you have to order the CD only if you installed
MSDE 2000 using a file different than sqlrun01.msi and I
saw in the registry that I used sqlrun01.msi to install
it.

>Also, how did you verify that the patch was/was not
applied?

>In this case you should log in to MSDE with osql.exe and
run "select
>@@version" to check the version number.

As I said, I read the documentation thoroughly, and I
verified the version just like you said with osql.exe,
like explained in the readme file.

Thank you,

--
Luca Pugliese
>--
>Richard Waymire, MCSE, MCDBA

confers no rights.
>"Luca Pugliese" <luca_pugliese@virgilio.it> wrote in
message
>> hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to solve a problem for a customer and any
help
>> would be welcome.
>> I'm using the version of MSDE 2000, which was bundled
with
>> ISS RealSecure.
>> I'm trying to patch it using SQL SP2 (the filename of
the
>> patch is ql2kdesksp2.exe), but although the installation
>> of the patch seems to succeed, when I verify the version
>> number of sql, I can't see any difference with the
number
>> I got before applying the patch.
>>
>> I don't know if the command I'm using is correct or if
>> something is missing because documentation on the
subject
>> is quite complex and difficult to read.
>>
>> First time I tried to apply the patch, I simply ran the
>> setup but I got an error saying:
>>
>> "This installation package could not be opened. Verify
>> that the package exists and that you can access it, or
>> contact the application vendor to verify that this is a
>> valid Windows Installer package."
>>
>> then I tried "Setup /p SQLRUN", in this case the
>> installation goes well and patches MSDE if I installed
it
>> on C:, goes well but seems to do nothing to MSDE if I
>> installed it on D:
>>
>> I have to install MSDE on the D: drive, any suggestion
on
>> how to patch it correctly?
>> I'm using this setup.ini to install MSDE on D:
>>
>> [Options]
>> TARGETDIR="D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
>> Server\Mssql\Binn"
>> DATADIR="D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\Mssql\Data"

>> Thank you in advance,
>>
>> --
>> Luca Pugliese
>>

>.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: .NET and MSDE
    ... So it will not harm anything if they install the regular ... patch for MSDE as well? ... >the sql2kdesk.exe patch won't apply to the NETSDK ... >information for users of the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Distributing application that use MSDE
    ... > When distributing an application that uses MSDE, should you install ... > your application databases into a named instance or into the default ... Are there any guidelines on when to create a named instance ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)
  • Re: question about patching MSDE 2000
    ... Are you applying the patch to ... > To install a named istance MS documentation says to add to ... > MSDE 2000 using a file different than sqlrun01.msi and I ... >>> of the patch seems to succeed, when I verify the version ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: MicroMonopoly aids Terrorism?
    ... >>>> The patch is simple to install. ... >>>> You do not get much simpler than it is to install. ... >> Although it is not mentioned in the article, one reason I kept ... With very few exceptions, MSDE only ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Named Instance, Connectivity Question
    ... with SQL Server 2000 Client ... I installed MSDE 2000 under Named Instance. ... yes, you can install only a named instance, only a default instance, or upt ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)