Re: SQL Server X Security Update for Service Pack 2

From: Chris Wood (
Date: 06/12/02

From: "Chris Wood" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:53:26 -0600

A security patch is unlikely to stop people using a blank password for sa.
Look at Q313418 on Microsoft's KB for what the worm is searching for.
Just a note.
On my Home PC, without SQL Server on it, I am getting a number of scans of
port 1433 showing in my Zonealarm log.
If you have a blank password and you are using port 1433 and it is open to
the wide world you have probably been found.

Chris Wood
Alberta Department of Energy
"Keith Ashley" <> wrote in message
> I am hoping that someone will be able to assist me with
> some clarification on an issue. In the latest SQL Server
> rollup fix, I thought that I heard about some kind of
> worm vulnerability that exploits blank "sa" passwords. I
> understand that having blank passwords is an
> extraordinary security vulnerability anyway but I did not
> implement this system. Also, the reason for the
> blank "sa" is that there is an application that is
> hardcoded to authenticate with a blank password. I am
> just clarifying that I do know better, back to my
> question, I thought that I read somewhere that this
> latest SQLSSRP is supposed to eliminate this
> vulnerability. Can anyone please shed some light on this
> or was I hallucinating when I thought I read this?
> Please help me, we have downed our app until we can get
> an answer. Thanks in advance for your help.
> Keith

Relevant Pages

  • RE: worm
    ... Install the security patch from this link: ... Mike ... >Subject: worm ... Morganarm might have received ...
  • Re: Protection against worm
    ... Download EVERY security patch from Microsoft, especially the worm ...
  • Setup Error
    ... I am trying to install the security patch ... for THE WORM. ... get an error message that states "setup could not verify ...
  • Setup Error
    ... I am trying to install the security patch ... >for THE WORM. ... >get an error message that states "setup could not verify ...
    ... Further, and also like Blaster, this worm could not affect any ... McAfee AVert Stinger Virus Removal Tool ... > enough to download a security patch from the web. ...