Re: Data from Remote Servers

From: David Gugick (david@idisoft.com)
Date: 06/12/02

From: "David Gugick" <david@idisoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:19:19 -0400

Why not break up the tables into smaller components. Link them any way you
like (IDENTITY column or PK value, etc.). That way, you are not updating
huge rows. Also, do not use TempDB. Instead create permanent tables (or use
table variable with SQL 2000) and make sure you have the necessary indexes
in place for updating row information.

--
David Gugick
Intrinsic Design, Inc.
"Shamim" <Shamim.Abdul@railamerica.com> wrote in message
> HI All,
>      SQL SERVER 7.0
>
> Iam in the process of collecting data from different databases from
> different servers to one database in our head office for a report purpose.
> Process works as follows with a stored-procedure in destination database.
>
> 1: Create a temp. table with all required fields (50 columns).
> 2: Around 30 columns are direct select from a table.
> 3: Remaining fields are populated by joining columns in the temp table to
> the columns in the production (remote)  tables .
>     (this update is very slow ,since joining between remote database and
the
> local db).
>
> Pls advice with any better option to acheive this.
>
> Thanks
> Shamim

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Data from Remote databases
    ... Shamim, ... > Process works as follows with a stored-procedure in destination database. ... Remaining fields are populated by joining columns in the temp table to ... > (this update is very slow,since joining between remote database and ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Data from Remote Servers
    ... SQL SERVER 7.0 ... Process works as follows with a stored-procedure in destination database. ... Remaining fields are populated by joining columns in the temp table to ... (this update is very slow,since joining between remote database and the ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Data from Remote databases
    ... Process works as follows with a stored-procedure in destination database. ... table with all required fields. ... Remaining fields are populated by joining columns in the temp table to ... (this update is very slow,since joining between remote database and ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: datagrid update command
    ... -i display it on a textbox on the form b4 updating the dataset ... >> hi sir ... > always cause error says that CType is not defined inmy namespace, ... > how can i update the database or the dataset without knowing the value ...
  • Re: Looping through a datagrid
    ... updating of the data when the request is posted back to the server. ... This is my> first attempt at creating a working Datagrid and having it update to a> database. ... I have> made some fields in the grid editable and want those changes to hit the> database at the same time with an update button that I have at the bottom of> the grid. ... >> Why would you loop through a data grid? ...