Re: Inherting Permissions Across Databases

From: Dan Guzman (danguzman@nospam-earthlink.net)
Date: 05/23/02

From: "Dan Guzman" <danguzman@nospam-earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 23:27:49 -0500

The feature you are referring to is known as an 'ownership chain'. As
long as the same user owns all of the objects involved, permissions on
the referenced objects are not required.

In the case of cross-database object references, the databases need to
have the same owner in order for the ownership chain to be unbroken for
dbo-owned objects. You can change database ownership with
sp_changedbowner.

For more info, see the Books Online and
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q272424.

Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

"Mike Barzilli" <mike.barzilli@peoplefirst.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if they changed how inheritance of
> permissions works between databases in a service pack?
>
> It used to work where a login and user in database "A"
> that was granted permissions to execute
> procedure "dbo.proc_a" would be allowed to execute any
> procs and access any tables that "dbo.proc_a" called
> internally even if they were in different databases;
> provided that login "A" also existed in those databases
> and that the owners of the object being called were the
> same as the calling procedure.
>
> I'm trying it now and it doesn't work??? Thanks for any
> help.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Two DB Owners
    ... full permissions in all databases. ... Note that the user will still be known as the 'dbo' user as long as the ... I need to add the login 'BUILTIN\Administrators' ... > 'DYNGRP' and 'BFGROUP' roles of the Dynamics and DAVCatalog databases. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Inherting Permissions Across Databases
    ... permissions works between databases in a service pack? ... It used to work where a login and user in database "A" ... same as the calling procedure. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Copying Login Atributes
    ... login to another login? ... This login can have permissions ... in many databases and can belong to any roles in any ... Bigo ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Re: Moving the Exchange data and log files.
    ... inheritance rules for that folder and all progeny. ... How to move Exchange databases and logs in Exchange Server 2003If you want ... Assuming it is a Microsoft KB, set the permissions to what the KB ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: missing system.mdw file
    ... permissions to create the file, ... >The registry key is not missing. ... Running the SCAN program from the Windows ... >>| I cannot create any new databases in Access 2002 on ...
    (microsoft.public.access.setupconfig)