Re: Cannot delete file

FromTheRafters <erratic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:imkllo$jhm$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

So, if you're getting the "path too long" message or the "cannot
delete file" message, and need a utility that will quickly
eliminate the problem, the Long Path tool is the way to go.
You'll be able to delete or rename your files in no time.

http://LongPathTool.com

I've never encountered this problem, but I am curious that if it
is an "Explorer" problem whether an alternate shell or the command
line would be able to fix it as well.

It is a Windows API limitation. When programmers write programs for
Windows, they use standard Windows functions to deal with files.
Many of these standard functions have the 260 character limit on the
path. Some programs can be written specifically to avoid API
functions with limitation. Among them are NTBackup and Robocopy.
With some programs, you can avoid the limitation by specifying the
file using an extended-length path syntax (ie \\?\C:\Documents and
Settings\...).

Refer to the following article, Paragraph "Maximum Path Length
Limitation" (about 1/3 the way down).

"Naming Files, Pathes, and Namespaces"
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>

HTH,
John

  • [NT] Limitations in Cisco Secure Desktop
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... Cisco has been made aware of limitations in the Cisco Secure Desktop (CSD) ... Information Leakage via Windows Paging File: ... This limitation is the inability to prevent data from leaking to the ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: what was it ?
    ... When IDE drives were first introduced, ... MS DOS and Windows 3.1 used FAT16 architecture, ... Windows 95 was originally released with this limitation ... NT4.0 did not recognize FAT partitions). ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Single OU limitations
    ... there could be issues with group membership. ... In Windows 2000 it ... limitation is removed in W2k3. ... I've w2k3 sp1 ent. ...
  • Re: Why I am Limited to about 35 Open Windows With 3GB Ram in New
    ... Thanks Mak. ... I think I will just put up with this limitation for now rather ... mean Windows Vista? ... It would be interesting if someone else with 3GB or more of memory ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cluster Nodes using Primary IP address - not Virtual IP when sending
    ... > Thanks Russ - I was aware of this limitation but reading Rod's story ... Rod states that the VIP is not a real network ... > running on a Windows system. ... Russ Kaufmann ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.clustering)