Re: Server 2008 Administrators Account

"Graham Mckenzie" <GrahamMckenzie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:73ED96B9-B406-4F03-B98F-9C082A742DE1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
we have a 2008 server which works as an inetrnet server where someone is
trying to attack us every second or 2 well our password is very strong we
still use the user account as administrator we want to rename this account or
create a second account with a diffrent name with complete admin rights

ideally we think renanming the administrator account to some obscure name
would be the answer i would like to no if this is recommended or not

any help i would appreciate it

The recommended practice for Server 2008 is to disable the Administrator account and use a different account that is a member of the administrators group, or in a domain the domain administrators group, to manage the server.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... I created a new user on the XP box, set as an administrator ... this new user account is local to the XP system, ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log ... member of the local administrators group on the server. ...
  • Re: Remote desktop: cannot copy files why still not working
    ... this new user account is local to the XP system, and a member of the local administrator's group on that workstation. ... In my environment, when I do an RDP connection to a server, I first log on to the xp workstation using my regular, non-privileged domain account, run mstsc, and then logon to the server using a domain account that is a member of the local administrators group on the server. ... In addition, I frequently use runas to run privileged applications on the workstation using my "administrator" account, and have found that files cannot be copied between those applications and anything running under the credentials of my regular account - even though my administrator account actually does have full access to everything on the workstation - just not through my regular account's view of that workstation. ...
  • Re: Windows Service - Event Log
    ... I didn't say the Administrator account. ... Administrators group on the local machine." ... I didn't advocate using a member of the Administrator's group; ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...
  • Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... one referencing the original administrator account: ... specific policy setting that was flagged with a big, ... I used an incorrect procedure to rename the ...