Re: w2k and Anti-virus software, firewall etc

On 16/12/2009 01:06, FromTheRafters wrote:
"~BD~"<BoaterDave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
[...]

I do understand that no Internet connection is required. *How*,
though, will malware transfer from one machine to another?
A network enumerating worm could, for instance, generate exploit packets
with addresses in the private address range. These addresses are for
devices (including computers) within the LAN. The router doesn't
broadcast these outside the LAN. It works just like the internet does,
only with an agreed upon subset of the total address space.

I'm going to hope that I don't get one! ;)

On reflection, maybe I don't actually have a LAN. I have a desktop
(XP) an iMac and a laptop (XP) all connecting
wirelessly to my BT Home Hub (a router)...
There's your wireless LAN right there - the *other* side of the router
provides access to the internet. Packets can be routed within the LAN or
between the LAN participants and the internet.

[...]

Of course - silly me!

and thus to the Internet. None of them are linked up to 'speak' to one
another.
That is not normally the case I think.

[...]

I've *not* deliberately set up a network to share files or my printer using current computers. I have done so in the past using XP only - there was a special procedure IIRC.

What you guy's refer to as "the mains" I believe - de-energizing the
device (stops all channels of communication).
I'll take it you mean the power supply to the router, not computer(s).
Yeah, I usually (but not always) say device when it is a device *other*
than a computer.

[...]

It is always best to be sure - that why I ask!

Thank you for all your helpful advice, FTR. I do appreciate it. :)

--
Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston Churchill)

  • RE: Firewall Rule Set not allowing access to DNS servers?
    ... > My LAN is configured with static IP addresses, ... > I have full connectivity with the internet from every machine on my ... > # Allow out access to my ISP's Domain name server. ... > # Interrogate packets originating from the public internet ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: RD works on LAN not across Internet
    ... RD works fine within my LAN but not across the ... I turned off Windows Firewall and NIS on all computers. ... >>> settings to fully use DHCP to access the Internet. ...
  • Re: internal IP exposure
    ... If you are speaking of "AuditMyPC", they use Java (not JavaScript) to fetch ... even for a computer with a direct Internet connection. ... If you could successfully ping 192.168.102.100, either you have set your LAN ... IP address the same as mine, and are seeing one of your computers, or you ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: iptables: DROP or REJECT?
    ... my firewall rules explicitly DROP any packets from the internet to ... >my LAN that don't meet my requirements for passage (ie trying to access ... my firewall rules explicitly REJECT any packets from my LAN to the ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: internal IP exposure
    ... I didn't want to know how powerful your network ... even for a computer with a direct Internet connection. ... > If you could successfully ping 192.168.102.100, either you have set your LAN ... > IP address the same as mine, and are seeing one of your computers, or you ...
    (microsoft.public.security)