Re: Skype forming connections to myriad PCs on Internet

That is its designed behavior. As part of its P2P voice chat system, Skype clients will attempt to serve as relays between calls (including calls that source and destination have no relation to your). If you don't like it, your only option would be to uninstall Skype.

Adam Stasiniewicz

<camper.happy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3efb0790-154d-4066-bdc5-e152f0528f56@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I downloaded and installed Skype. Before I ran it for the first time,
I ran "netstat -b" to learn what connections had been made
to/from my PC, which is running XP SP3. The list was very minimal.

After I run Skype, the list of connection ballooned
to include a large number of PCs, many of them
seemingly home PCs.

So, I changed the settings in Skype to prevent
people who are not in my Contact List from trying
to SMS me or make video calls. I thought that
would fix things.

While the list was greatly shortened, it is by no means
without questionable connections. Here's a combined list
of the various connections I discovered since imposing
privacy restrictions.

Key point: There is no one on my contact list who is a user of
AOL or Optonline or RoadRunner.

TCP mypc:3994
TCP mypc:4030
16323 TIME_WAIT 0
TCP mypc:4050
TCP mypc:4054
TCP mypc:4056 Wireless_Broadband_Router.home:2555
TCP mypc:4061 Wireless_Broadband_Router.home:2555
TCP mypc:4100
64776 ESTABLISHED 3704
TCP mypc:4112 Wireless_Broadband_Router.home:2555

Can anyone explain if this is a known Skype problem and if so,
what's the cause?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Little Snitch
    ... connections to, it keeps re-connecting. ... connecting to the same address Skype has just ... Given that an installation of VMware adds some virtual network ... sure you disable UPnP and NAT-PMP on all your routers, AirPort devices, etc. ...
  • Re: Problem: Skype and browser dont work simultaneously
    ... If I'm trying to use several applications that need internet access ... browsing the internet while making a Skype call or while ... Looking at my Transmission preferences, it looks like it can allow ... the network connections with up to 200 other connections, ...
  • Re: Skype - Port 443 traffic to ??
    ... Part of the reason for its popularity ... to setup and maintain calls - not direct connections with those you are ... This confirms what I have since found in the Skype 'Guide for Network ...
  • Re: block skype
    ... Under the connections tab in Skype tools, you can uncheck port 80 and use a ... different port. ... >>> I can't block skype at port level cause skype use port 80. ... >>> we would like to block skype from central location and not per computer. ...
  • Netgear to Offer First Wi-Fi Phone For Skype Calling
    ... Netgear Inc. and Skype, the Web-based calling company which is a unit ... wireless mobile telephone for Skype. ... connections around a house. ...