Re: Wifi Security

Yes, you have to set the option to boot from the live
CD in the CMOS setup program. Are you familiar
with Linux? IIRC Backtrack is a Linux based pen-
test disk.

"Sinbad The Sailor" <roliasehtdabnis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Good Afternoon All,

Following your advice I got myself a copy of the Backtrack 3 boot CD to
use
on my laptop, to try and break the security I made. However the laptop
doesn't attempt to boot off the CD so does this mean I have to mess with
the
BIOS settings on my laptop to check for a CD before booting off the HDD?

I'm hoping when I can sort this problem, I can keep the settings and
everything so when I work on other people's wifi I can do it all quickly
and
easily.

Thanks all.

-Sinbad

On 13/01/2009 19:42, in article
2F7EA7C6-CB5A-447C-953F-34F2DDAC31AE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "E. Cox"
<ECox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, if you want to try to break the security just as an exercise, have
fun.
There are a lot of tools but you may not have much luck getting them for
the
Windows platform.

You had mentioned "totally secure"... it is not going to happen! If your
neighbour has something of value to somebody else, and if that somebody
else
has enough desire, that wifi security will be broken or bypassed
entirely.
Internal devices like firewalls and such will add addtional securty
measures.
Then add in good practices and secure those endpoints! Most of the
damage
to a person's network happens right from that person's own computer by
their
own hand. One good trojan and that machine is owned... wifi security had
nothing to do with it!

If she is just a regular person with a home-based internet connection,
the
security you setup should be plenty. Just monitor the wifi logs to see
if
other machines try to connect. Turn on MAC authentication for one more
layer
of protection. Change the WPA2 key on a regular basis, update the
firmware
as needed, and lock down all systems that are used.... unless there is a
threat nearby with a motive against her, what you've done so far should
be
plenty to keep her secure. Now, turn your attention to her workstations
and
secure them.

"Sinbad The Sailor" wrote:

Shenan,

Thank you for the reply, and thanks to all others who replied, there is
an
indescribable wealth of knowledge here.

My query was for some sort of instruction to help me use the listed
programs
for penetration testing.

Following your advice, I have changed the security to WPA2 with a 128bit
passkey.

Now to the penetration testing! Which is the most effective program to
capture Ivs and see if I can reveal the passkey?

Thanks all.

-Sinbad

On 12/01/2009 13:47, in article e7TdhxLdJHA.2400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,