Re: Critical Update - Windows Component

I am sorry, but I do not know what you mean by "> Fine and expected if you do
not go there often."

Was it okay that I downloaded it?
And, just what is the 'Windows Compoment Publisher" and why must it be
downloaded/installed?

I manually check for Critical Updates every week.

I am not that familiar with computers, updates, etc.

=====================
"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

AliceZ wrote:
I went to the Windows Critical Update page to see if there were any
Critical Updates. There was a pop-up asking if I wanted to download
"Windows Component." I didn't know what to do; so I clicked no.
Then I tried to get into the Critical Update page again and I got
the same pop-up. I then clicked on the Install button, and in a
second or two I was allowed into the Critical Update screen.

Was it okay to allow that to install?

I never saw something like this before before.

Why did it ask if you wanted to install or if you did not want it
to install if you couldn't go any further unless you clicked on the
"install."

I have WinXP sp3.

Fine and expected if you do not go there often.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • Re: Download and SAVE critical updates?
    ... :>create my own update CD to use when and if I clean install in the future. ... Then go to Updates for Operating systems, select Windows XP SP1 ... put critical updates in a download basket to download and save. ... I used the Temp Int files method to copy the critical updates I had ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I Screwed up Windows XP install
    ... got the first 59 critical updates and installed them, ... Get the whole SP2 as a separate download, save it to CD for later ... and install it from the local dowload. ... I tried the Windows XP disk first and seemed to work fine, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I see Microsoft is phasing out Windows Update
    ... Download you critical updates here and install yourself if M$ is too ... I can always download and do my own rollouts but Microsoft would really do me a service and help me if Windows updates are installed off the Internet at the client machines. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • XP Pro new installation, slow downloads.
    ... I just did a clean install of XP Pro, and let it do the networking ... setup via the automatic settings thingy.... ... the download speed is only about 4k/sec or less most of the time... ... so far it's installed 13 of the 28 critical updates that were ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Critical Updates
    ... decided to connect it to the Internet this past weekend. ... I have about 43 critical updates to ... install. ... I finally stayed connected long enough to download one ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)