Re: Drag & drop of URL to links bar gives Access Denied!!!???

On Sep 20, 5:55 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
eganders wrote:
On Sep 18, 12:39 pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
IE version? Window version?

eganders wrote:
How can I get around this? Is there a place where I can disable some
parts of the security profile?

In Internet Explorer: Dragging and dropping the icon in the present
URL to the links bar is allowed. Dragging and dropping the icon to a
FOLDER on my links bar creates an access denied!##%%!!

I am sick of this type of security.

The stupid thing is I can drag and drop it to the links bar, cut it
and PASTE it into the folder. Thanks, Microsoft, for the added extra
steps in the name of security.

This type of nonsense makes a joke of security.

Oh yes.  What else but Windows Vista (basic).  The web browser is
Internet explorer 7.

What else?  Could have been just about any Windows version (and Service Pack
level) and IE version (e.g., IE5.x; IE6; IE7; IE8B2) in this newsgroup,
which is not a Vista-specific newsgroup.  Vista-specific newsgroups include:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Methinks you need to bone up on Vista's UAC and Protected Mode.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry!! Methinks that this behavior is not consistant. I should not
have to learn about something that behaves in an inconsistant and non
intuitive way. I don't think I am alone in this thinking because
Vista (which has a lot of good features) is not having a good time in
the marketplace BECAUSE of this type of behavior. I started on this
rough road trying to migrate my old applications to Vista. The
security got in the way, so I turned it off during the installation
process. I really would like to follow the concept of using the UAC,
but not when a person has to deal with this type of behaviour.

So far it looks like no one has an answer to the "simple" problem I
put forward, which underscores the problem further. If there is no
problem here but my "need to bone-up on the way Vista works", then why
no answer???

  • Re: vista pia
    ... In my opinion the trouble Vista causes is much bigger than the security ... And of course it is sometimes necessary to write into the program files ... be unzipped in the program folder. ...
  • Re: Newbie. Questions on file sharing
    ... I simply have to get used to the ergonomics of Vista. ... then select the "Daniel" folder on the right pane and click the button Share in the toolbar. ... Check all the allow box next to full control (Note - this screen doesn't actually GRANT permission - that is done in the security tab. ...
  • Re: maybea silly question
    ... Set Security on a NTFS Folder Programmatically". ... but it's a bad idea from a security stand point. ... permissions. ... to Vista thus far, but the notion of a data folder under ...
  • Re: Newbie. Questions on file sharing
    ... Assuming I am user "Daniel" on the Vista PC, how can I share in one operation all folders and files in the Users\Daniel folder? ... Check all the allow box next to full control (Note - this screen doesn't actually GRANT permission - that is done in the security tab. ... you have to now change the security permissions on your folder to allow 'everyone' to access it. ...
  • Re: Newbie. Questions on file sharing
    ... To access Share I have to open Explorer, select Desktop on the left pane of the window, then select "Daniel" folder on the right pane and click the button Share in the toolbar. ... Is it different from one version of Vista to another? ... Check all the allow box next to full control (Note - this screen doesn't actually GRANT permission - that is done in the security tab. ... you have to now change the security permissions on your folder to allow 'everyone' to access it. ...