Re: Source Code

"Dan" <Dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:54616E2F-025A-4544-8224-514E81B52E09@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you George for your feedback. Now, at Microsoft wasn't there some
project that is being kept under wraps in a separate department that is
quietly at work developing a new source code because I thought I read
something about it back in July of 2008 but there was only a small amount
of
data on the topic and I have even forgotten the name of the new source
code.
Can anyone please refresh my memory?

I believe the word you're looking for is "Midori".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(operating_system)

However, there are so many research projects into new operating systems,
display products, network stacks, interfaces, etc, that Microsoft puts their
efforts into, it's difficult to judge where any particular project is
headed.

Let's look at this logically - either Midori is designed to emulate the
Win32 API, in which case it inherits many of the quirks of the Win32 API
that have made security a tricky task, or it is designed not to be like
Win32, in which case few will switch to it because of the lack of
applications. Or it'll be something in-between, in which case, it's going to
face a lot of both problems.

There has been no proposal made public about a project to replace the
existing Windows code with all-new code - after all, most of the code is
time-tested and reliable, so why on earth would you?

Remember that for an operating system to stay functioning, most of its code
has to be working correctly, and the thought of throwing out all of that
code, and re-writing it from scratch is not something a company should take
lightly.

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/
23921 57th Ave SE | Blog: http://msmvps.com/alunj/

  • Re: Source Code att Dave
    ... Alun Jones and this was exactly what I was wondering about. ... Win32 API, in which case it inherits many of the quirks of the Win32 API ... Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/ ... Woodinville WA 98072-8661 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Source Code
    ... data on the topic and I have even forgotten the name of the new source code. ... Let's look at this logically - either Midori is designed to emulate the Win32 API, in which case it inherits many of the quirks of the Win32 API that have made security a tricky task, or it is designed not to be like Win32, in which case few will switch to it because of the lack of applications. ... Texas Imperial Software | Web: http://www.wftpd.com/ ... Woodinville WA 98072-8661 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: how to sign a file.source code
    ... Do you mean that you want to get source code for signing a file, ... Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email ... Cedar Park TX 78613-1419 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: But a fool with a tool is still a fool
    ... that is the benefit of OPF. ... | wants to outright own the source code. ... the Win32 API, ar rhe database? ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • MAC to IP Translation ???
    ... I would appreciate if someone can guide me towards MAC Address to IP ... Address Translation. ... Source code, preferably in C or VC++ or Win32 API ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)