Re: redundant wan

From: "archie" <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| We have two connections to the internet (1 T1 and 1 DSL) setup for redundancy
| purposes on a router with 2 wan ports. These connections both have their own
| pool of IP addresses. Our name resolution is setup to point to IP addresses
| bound to the T1. We recently had a situation where our T1 went down and we
| had to disable that WAN port on our router until it was available again. In
| this process we found that we needed to setup a second ftp subdomain
| (ftp2.mydomain.com) and tell our customers to use that name.
|
| My question is how can we make it so that we don't have to notify our
| customers to use the other subdomain should this happen again without having
| to make dns changes. In other words, if ftp.mydomain.com is bound to our T1
| on 65.1.1.1 and out T1 goes down, what would we need to do to make sure
| ftp.mydomain.com goes through our DSL line bound to 64.1.1.1 (IP addresses
| are not real, just examples).
|
| Would we need to change our topology, or is there a way to set a secondary
| IP or route for our dns names? Any feedback is much appreciated.
|
| Thanks,
| Marc

This is a networking question, not a security question.
Plaese ask in a networking or router based news group.

Off the bat, I'd say you need a Router with with two WAN ports.

--
Dave

  • Loadbalancing between two isp uplinks
    ... I have a networking question I could not find an answer for with ... We have currently at work two ISP boxes, i want to setup a ... firewall to protect an intranet on a local host. ... not every one is using the same router. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Border router security configuration
    ... The router is cisco 2600 ... with 2 wan ports and a isdn backup port ... Better Management for Network Security ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: MAC addresses in router vs Access Point
    ... while a router has only one even if it has lan ports and wan ports? ... I'll take your statement literally, and assume you meant router WAN port, and not WLAN port. ...
    (comp.dcom.lans.ethernet)
  • Router for SBS2008
    ... I realize I need to get a router. ... because I want 2 WAN ports to add a second DSL and balance remote users, ... there are VPN tunnel limits. ... SBS question, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: redundant wan
    ... | Off the bat, I'd say you need a Router with with two WAN ports. ... I forget to mention that two WAN port Router should perform Load Balancing. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)