Re: Folder permissions

dan wrote:
I just had to take a hard drive out of a broken XP machine and installed it into a working XP machine. Problem is I cannot get into my C:\documents and settings\myfolder

I had a password on my folder. I know about ownership in a domain but this is a stand alone computer not connected to a domain.

Any ideas??

You still need to take ownership of the files.

Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
How Do I Get the Security tab in Folder Properties? - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_security_tab.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: New hard drive and XP installation
    ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Moving user profile from an old drive
    ... But can not get to the files saved under secured profiles. ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP - ... MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User ...
  • Re: Access denied to documents folder
    ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP ... Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: disk error occurred
    ... these "locked files" are not the hidden files or system files. ... creates a folder of that username under "documents and settings". ... This is normally a simple permissions issue, dealt with by Taking Ownership. ... have XP Pro and have invoked encryption. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: c:Documents and SettingsUsername is not accessible
    ... > My harddisk died and I plug it into another pc to access it. ... Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP - ... MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)