Re: MSN Virus

From: "lil_guy009" <lilguy009@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| My computer has been infected by a virus spreading around by MSN
| chatting. My Windows Defender calls it
| 'SettingsModifier:Win32/PossibleHostsFileHijack'. This has shut down my Zone
| Alarm firewall, which I reinstalled to no effect. I've tried getting into
| MSConfig, but that opens up for about half a second and then the virus closes
| the window. I'm betting that I have more programs that are shut down, but I
| haven't begun a thorough observation, yet.
|
| Does anyone know more about this
| SettingsModifier:Win32/PossibleHostsFileHijack virus that spreads by MSN?
|
| Does anyone know how to remove it? Windows Defender detects it at startup
| and says it successfully cleans/deletes/quarantines it, but it's always
| coming back.

For non-viral malware...

Please download, install and update the following software...

* Ad-aware SE 2007
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.de/ms/index.htm

* SpyBot Search and Destroy v1.4
http://security.kolla.de/
http://www.safer-networking.org/microsoft.en.html

* SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

After the software is updated, I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode.

For viral malware...

* Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file. http://www.ik-cs.com/multi-av.htm

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: dnsChange virus
    ... The Trojan.DNSChanger virus has really never left the ... After the software is updated try scanning in safe mode. ... Then download and execute HiJack This! ... do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: dnsChange virus
    ... The Trojan.DNSChanger virus has really never left the ... After the software is updated try scanning in safe mode. ... Then download and execute HiJack This! ... do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: hacktool.rootkit
    ... mode virus scanning, registry entry purging, etc.). ... and Micro Trend online scans, safe mode virus scanning, system restore ... > Line Scanners to remove viruses, ... > download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Virus cant be removed!
    ... | have executed just about every virus, malware, adware removal program that I ... | I have started in Safe Mode With Command Prompt. ... There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion. ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Problems with RPC, networks and possible virus
    ... Scanned a downloaded file and no virus ... | works fine but if i try the modem with ethernet, the connections still ... I suggest scanning the system in Safe Mode. ... FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)