Re: McAfee shuts off my computer

And if you uninstall software and reinstall it?

BlueFireZ wrote:
Ver 2002, Service pack 2.

I used the removal tool. It still shut off. I put the Norton System Works
back on but not the virus software.

"PA Bear" wrote:

Windows version?

Run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot, and see if this behavior persists:

Should I go back to Norton?

Lord, no!
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin;

BlueFireZ wrote:
I recently removed Norton and installed McAfee which comes free from my
broadband provider. Shortly after downloading my computer began to act

I got fatal error messages, some of my drivers would not load and then the
computer began to reboot every 5 - 10 minutes, even if it was idle.

I thought I had a virus. After a long day of talking with techie friends,
and removing and reinstalling software I ran a virus scan. Each time I
to do so the computer rebooted.

Now, it does not show any more error messages or reboot unless I try to

Should I go back to Norton?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Remote Host locks up/freezes
    ...  However when I try to connect via remote desktop I am ... point is to reboot the host computer manually. ... Uninstall all Norton and Symantec "LiveUpdate" from Add/Remove Program ... BEFORE running the removal tool. ...
  • Re: Windows updates v Norton IS
    ... including the usuall malicious software removal tool. ... Since then Norton Internet Security ... I think I will reinstall Norton, just to be on the safe side. ... Reboot and then run the Removal Tool ...
  • Re: "There was an error saving one or more of the attachments."
    ... security or AV program that still has a hold on your system. ... If you ever had Norton ... Below is their removal tool and feel free to use them, ... and being denied access to disk space by a security program. ...
  • Re: Bummer
    ... >>but I don't know how Norton allowed itself to be turned off. ... >Norton takes a couple minutes to activate when you reboot. ... Would Flash drives be considered reliable enough? ... Both units with the sensitive data have CD-RW drives. ...
  • Re: Internet disconnect. Analogue line.
    ... I ran the removal tool to tidy up anything lurking there and rebooted. ... Norton I have already unsubscribed and physically removed/ ... After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall ... will disconnect and my phone will ring and the line will attempt to ...