Re: Does Norton AV send emails ?

Looks like the infection was deleted from the message before you received it. IOW, /your/ NAV didn't do it.

The link is legit & takes you to http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/index.jsp

In all likelihood, the .EMAIL attachment was the stripped/cleaned rest of the message. If you weren't expecting such a message, delete it unread/unopened.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

bobnrobin wrote:
Hello,
If this question should be in a different group, please advise.
In about 5 years of using various versions of Norton AV (current '06), have
not ever received an email notifying that a certain "many letters.exe" file
"was infected with the malicious virus Bloodhound.Beagle and has been
deleted because the file cannot be cleaned." Until yesterday. The sender
was "Janpipkin", title was "price_12-Dec-2006". Email has an attachment
called "price_12-Dec-2006.email". Reads: "This message has been processed
by Symantec's AntiVirus Technology. Next paragraph: (Eleven letters).exe
was (as quoted above). Last paragraph: For more information on antivirus
tips and technology, visit http://ses.Symantec.com/
Normally, since I didn't recognize the name, I would have just deleted it
unopened. But, was expecting an email from Customer Service of a company
regarding an order, and had no idea who might reply..... so I opened it.. I
did NOT click on the attachment, nor the link in the last paragraph. I went
to the Symantec site, but could not find anything helpful. I also checked
the Norton AV logs, and they do not show any such activity....
Just wondering if this has happened to others, if it's standard procedure
from Norton, or some sort of spam, scam, or other bad n' nasty.
Appreciate any words of wisdom, thanks.

  • Re: Does Norton AV send emails ?
    ... Symantec's AntiVirus Technology. ... Last paragraph: ... from Norton, or some sort of spam, scam, or other bad n' nasty. ... Answer in newsgroup. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Does Norton AV send emails ?
    ... In about 5 years of using various versions of Norton AV, ... Symantec's AntiVirus Technology. ... Last paragraph: For more information on antivirus tips ... malwares understanding to the entry for PA Bear on someone's infected computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Rem36.exe
    ... you or your "friend" need to ascertain why Norton ... this specific infection, if it is actually an infection. ... you cannot boot to MSDOS. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Virus identity ???
    ... MS, Trend, Norton, or McAfee. ... years and am able to locate an infection by many methods. ... Microsoft security updates in XP are installed, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)