Re: Information in Computer Management tool

If I could afford solution number 1, I wouldn't be posting here.

<deleting all partitions and formatting the drive. Do not connect to the
Internet until you have installed Service Pack 2 and have the Windows
Firewall active and an antivirus program installed.>

I do this at least twice a week, exactly as you described.

My computer is not infected, or one of the antivirus/antispyware programs
would have picked it up.

< Your computer is not infected and you don't understand what you are
seeing.>

Say what?

I'm fairly certain that someone is using an NT logon on my computer and
controlling it that way, as a supposedly legitimate user, hence the NT user
entries in the Administrative Computer Management tool.

"Malke" wrote:

matriloch wrote:

I basically just wanted to know if those NTentries belonged in there.
This is an un-networked PC. No one else should be on it.

He's a hacker.

So many things have gone wrong that I don't know where to begin. Right
now, when I turn the computer on, I get the screen but without any
icons. I'm unable to turn the computer off normally. I have to unplug
it. When I plug it in again and reboot, I do see the icons.

I often have to open a window twice for it to work. I'll get a blank
screen or an error screen the first time.

I feel like someone is on the computer with me. It's very slow.
Granted, it's a dial-up connection, but I know from experience that
it's not supposed to be that slow.

I'm afraid to put a password on Administrator. I put on an excellent
one, which I tested. I went out for a few hours. When I came back, the
password had been changed. I couldn't reformat the computer. I
couldn't get access to Administrator for almost a year. My son-in-law
finally got rid of the password somehow. (He's a systems
administrator, but they don't live nearby.)

When I download updates from Microsoft, he gets in and trashes my
computer. I wish they'd put Service Pack 3 on a disk.

There's nothing I can do about this obsessed freak, so I have to learn
how to work around him. Basically, I have a Trojan that no antivirus
or antispyware program can find.

As long as I don't try to password Administrator, he gives me access.
I've seen in the log that I shut down the computer while someone was
still working on it. I get the feeling that he's using Windows NT,
because when I reformat, I get a message that another OS is on the
partition and I'll be wiping it off. That, as well as all those NT
entries, leads me to believe that he's using Windows NT.

Frankly, this sounds quite odd. Offhand, I can think of some
possibilities:

1. Your computer is infected and/or has been compromised and is really
under someone else's control.

2. Your computer is infected and is not under someone else's control but
you don't understand what you are seeing.

3. Your computer is not infected and you don't understand what you are
seeing.

Since your posts indicate that you aren't particularly computer-savvy, I
think the best thing for you to do is to either:

1. Take the machine to a professional computer repair shop for diagnosis
and possible repair. Have all your data backed up before you take the
machine into a shop.

2. Back up your data and do a clean install of Windows including
deleting all partitions and formatting the drive. Do not connect to the
Internet until you have installed Service Pack 2 and have the Windows
Firewall active and an antivirus program installed. Here are
instructions for a clean install:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Reinstalling_Windows -
What you will need on-hand

Probably #1 above is the best solution for you. I do not say this to
hurt your feelings; I'm just being practical. We all have our areas of
expertise.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: Draft I: Why You Dont Want to Install Software
    ... All these functions should be under the control of the system administrator. ... > idea of contacting your network consultant to install software probably ... > could install software. ... Windows 9x was notoriously unstable and fragile. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Windows kill Linux?
    ... Now during every install after CD1 ... a dual boot with Windows. ... Windows can not detect ext3 partitions. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: NT and disk hardware configuration problem
    ... I then installed Windows NT 4.0 Workstation. ... Cound not read from the selected boot disk. ... operating systems in later partitions. ... I intend to install OS/2 after Windows NT and Windows ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware)
  • Re: Trying to install Linux on a Win XP machine
    ... Trying to install Linux on a Win XP machine ... windows and all the included applications if something goes wrong. ... >> unable to find DOS or superblock or Sun or other partitions. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Tweak UI Autologon..
    ... Several years ago I messed up big time with my new install of XP. ... using an older version and managed to delete Documents and Settings twice. ... I reformatted my HD from FAT32 to NTFS and did a clean install of Windows XP ... the Administrator Account shown on the Welcome screen. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)