Information in Computer Management tool

I have Windows XP Home Edition running on a Dell Dimension 2400 PC.

I’m puzzled by some of the entries in Computer Management. I’ve copied
everything from the file. The parts that I don’t understand have a space
above and below. Is Windows XP just an overlay for Windows NT?

Although my antivirus program never finds a virus and my spyware scanner
never finds spyware (except for cookies), my computer is constantly being
attacked. I disable remote assistance and the infrared port, but he still
gets in. Could he be using Windows NT to attack my computer?

One of the entries that seems odd is Computer description. It says Microsoft
Windows XP Home Edition, but this is grayed out and barely visible.

In Processor Scheduling, it says, “By default the computer is set to use a
greater share of processor time to run your programs.” But Adjust for best
performance of Background Services is checked rather than Adjust for best
performance of Programs.

Environment variables really confuse me. There are 4 identities whose user
variables are mostly the same.
DUNGEON\owner (This is mine.)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Is Windows XP just an overlay for Windows NT? Am I really using Windows NT?

In the variables, the OS is given as Windows_NT rather than Windows_XP

The paths are:
%SystemRoot%\system32
%SystemRoot%
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\System
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\MailFrontier

The path extensions are: .com;.exe;.bat;.cmd;.vbs;.vbe;.js;.jse;.wsf;.wsh

Unlike above, in Startup and Recovery the default operating system is given
as
"Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

When I click on Edit, I get this as the boot loader.
[boot loader]
timeout=60
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Thank you in advance for any clarification.

  • Re: Want to purchase new computer
    ... Windows XP Home Edition would be the operating system. ... Excel etc are part of Microsoft Office and they will not be on your computer unless they are offered to you as a package when you buy the computer. ... If I have this correct, Windows XP Home Edition is the system, does it have Word, Excel etc... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Upgrade from Win XP HOME to PRO
    ... I have added Remote Desktop functionality to my XP HOME edition. ... I have tried to upgrade it to Windows XP PRO edition. ... installed automagically during the installation - even at the T-13 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: What do I buy?
    ... Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 ... I find references to no operating system, which I assume is what he ... I'd go for WinXP Pro SP2. ...
  • Re: XP Home vs. Pro; Feature Contrast
    ... Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional ... The following features are not present in Windows XP Home Edition. ... Pro can be the server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: file and printer sharing with non-domain members
    ... One of the biggest differences for networking features between Windows XP ... Professional and Windows XP Home Edition is the lack of domain membership ... although they can access resources on a domain member in the same way ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)