Re: Parent Control Software

In news:35D871F4-DAC9-4139-8D3A-1D24125DC080@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
QuidnuncSimcha <QuidnuncSimcha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:
Hello,

Well Said Mr...errr...Ms??? "Lanwench"

<blush> It's Ms, actually (strangely, so few men are comfortable being
called 'wench').

And right back atcha - this is well put.

I have heard that the new McAfee Security Suite has Parent Control.
Apparently, they have children, young adult, adult, and such. One can
create filters also.

In addition, most wireless routers and wired routers now have a web
filtering and domain blocking feature that can be used.

Lanwench is very correct though. A child will probably find away
around your method. You can create a very STRONG and COMPLEX
administrator password by using password phrases (should be done
anyhow.) Many people don't know that ctrl-alt-delete leads them to
the "built-in" administrator account where the default password is
blank. With this account, a child can access anything you do and
change the values. For this reason, it is advised to log onto this
account, create a strong and complex password and maybe change the
name of the account from the default Administrator name. In addition,
go to interactive login under local security and enable the do not
display last user name. While your there, change all accounts but the
built-in Administrator accounts to "users" with limited security
priv's. On most occasions the "default" account level during set-up
places all users in the Administrator group instead of the user
group. The password must be strong because the child will probably be
witty enough to download a "password cracker" off the internet. Many
of these can search the english language in seconds and break a
password. They can also do other nasty things if used like placing
rootkits with covert backdoors. If you really need to "tighten up"
you can deny specific users access to CD/DVD drive/Floppy ,etc.....
That is pretty severe but all can be accomplished via XP Pro.

Probably the most important part is taking GOOD control of the
Administrator Group. By this, I mean only using the built-in account
as the admin account and use complex password rules. Remove all other
users from the admin group and add them to the limited users group.
And the biggest pain....set up the application, sytem, and security
logs and monitor them.

I know the above may seem complicated... Still, a child will learn
the last paragraph in a few minitutes and become the administrator of
the account if you don't take control. The Administrator accounts
should VERY RARELY be used to surf the internet because any hidden
code on malicious sites will silently download with administrator
rights and run script with one of the highest levels on the computer.
If needed, the code developer can include code to escalate priv's to
NT Authority/System. I have broken this golden rule several times
and each time I seem to pay the price.

In summary, you can buy all the controls on the market but if you
leave the admin account (any admin account) open to "inside" attacks
or "outside" attacks, the controls will be very inneffective.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

In news:B47DEE74-7DBA-4847-AE06-E254FCFC73D4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
AbiKay <AbiKay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:
Hi

Could anyone recommend a good parent control software - I really
liked the net nanny trial, but it crashes my internet connection.

thanks!

There are lots of products out there, but frankly, I tend to operate
on the assumption that a clever child/teenager will always be able
to run circles around the parent in these cases...so, no matter what
you choose to use, there is no substitute for direct supervision.

Maybe it would be best to find out what's actually happening when
you have a "crash" - if you like the software. Perhaps someone can
help you with the problem if you tell us what it is exactly - full
details, including Windows OS version & service pack level, kind of
connection you use, and so forth.

  • Re: Parent Control Software
    ... I have heard that the new McAfee Security Suite has Parent Control. ... You can create a very STRONG and COMPLEX administrator password by ... With this account, a child can access anything you ... Probably the most important part is taking GOOD control of the Administrator ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Lost Administrators password
    ... > administrator password enter, reboot. ... This command changed the Password from ... > account which he forgot the password. ... > Admin account. ...
  • Re: Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... policy to rename the account although it is not really necessary or useful. ... Did I check Group Policies for references to the Administrator ... Failed to perform redirection of folder Desktop. ...
  • Re: How to restore Admin account??
  • Event 1202 Warnings after Renaming Administrator Acct on SBS2003
    ... one referencing the original administrator account: ... specific policy setting that was flagged with a big, ... I used an incorrect procedure to rename the ...