Re: onoes.exe?

If you would kindly listen to my advice I think you might be spared a
headache or two in the future:

1. To begin with, Windows OneCare's anti-virus "protection" is
completely terrible. I would go as far to say that even the open source
ClamWin AV (or something like that)is even better than the OneCare AV.
You would be SO much better off by buying a cheaper, yet much more
powerful AV program such as NOD32 by ESET. NOD32 is not only cheaper it
is considered to be one of the most powerful and user friendly
anti-virus programs by many including several excellent product
reviewers such as PCWorld. As a matter of fact, you can even switch to a
free anti-virus product such as AVG Free or Avast and recieve much
stronger protection (I am using AVG Free and no virus survives on my
computer without my knowledge of it)
2. Furthermore, Windows OneCare's anti-spyware can be acquired for free.
It is the Windows Defender program that you see flashed around on
Microsoft's website that you can download for free. Not to mention that
Windows Defender is a relatively crippled and weak anti-spyware program.
You can add Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, Ewido Anti-Spyware, and Super
Anti-Spyware to your PC all for free (they are all free programs for
home users) which will be much more powerful than Windows OneCare's
spyware protection will ever be.
3. Moreover, Windows OneCare's cleaning tools can easily be replaced.
(In fact many are already on your PC. Go to Start - Accessories - System
Tools and you can find the Disk Cleanup and Defragmentator). The
CCleaner and the ATF Cleaner are much more powerful and effective
cleaning utilities that are offered completely free for home users.

In the end, Windows OneCare's $50 price is a rip off when you can spend
$30 (If you want NOD32) or even nothing (like myself and many security
experts) while gaining much better protection.

Rich Stone wrote:
I'm hoping somebody can help me here. I'm running Windows Live OneCare and
all seems to be working correctly. I have also been installing updates as
they have become available, including anti-virus definitions, etc.

My problem started a few days ago. Every time I reboot my PC, a file named
onoes.exe is detected as a virus. OneCare cannot clean it so puts it in
quaranteen. However, the next reboot seems to bring it back. Does anyone know
what it is, where it may have come from and how I can stop it from returning?

Rich

--
3rd Place Florida State Science & Engineering Fair Finalist
Grand Award & 1st Place Broward County Science Fair Winner

  • Re: How Do I Fix Script Errors?
    ... OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6 ... Turn off email scanning in your antivirus software. ... Windows 2000 and Windows XP. ... Windows XP Service Pack 2 Resources for IT Professionals ...
  • Re: C:Windowsmsnavpklog.txt
    ... but I've not tried to run them in the safe mode. ... It's the anti-virus program that gets hung up on the file when I run it ... You might want to start in Safe Mode to run your antivirus and anti-spyware ... in areas Windows protects while using them. ...
  • Re: Whitch Anti-Virus should i use ?
    ... Windows Vista Ultimate - Desktop PC ... What anti-virus you recommend me to use? ... Avira AntiVir® Personal - FREE Antivirus ... It includes ANTI-SPYWARE protection, certified by the West Coast Labs ...
  • Re: Cannot find ///FAST Hardlock Driver!
    ... What you're encountering seems to be a problem with some type of copy protection scheme. ... But it doesn't give much information, except how to install it. ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ... Later I loaded RentRight, another older program on the machine (which is said ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: ! Windows XP home help (winhlp32 stub) issue.
    ... The protection is done with what they call a 'hotfix'. ... and it takes *4 HOURS* to start the reinstall process, and then add all the windows updates. ... >> Your system lacks the tools to 'repair' the system, after setup, and depends on you doing a 'backup' of the system state. ... >> SP2 CAN be removed with a System Restore. ...