Re: 2ND REQUEST : How can I setup anonymous printing on win2k or XP?

Yes, I agree. Given the response that printing should
be available to anyone that might ever be present at that
location, use of Guest is (almost the only) the way to go.

--
Roger
"Paul Adare" <padare@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
In article <OHIJFW8YGHA.500@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, in the
microsoft.public.security news group, Malke <notreally@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
says...

Make a Printers user group (if there isn't one already - my Win2k box is
not on right now) and add the users to that group. Then set your
permissions on the printer accordingly. Obviously the users will need
to have accounts on your pseudo-server for authentication. Since you
are using a workgroup, you probably don't have that many users anyway.

If you don't want to make user accounts for individuals on the Win2k box
(perhaps the individuals come and go for ex.), then make a generic user
account on both the "workstations" and the pseudo-server. An example
for a school would be users called "Student" or "Teacher".

This isn't necessary. Just make sure that the guest account is enabled
and that the Everyone group is assigned permissions to the shared
printer.

--
Paul Adare - MVP Virtual Machines
It all began with Adam. He was the first man to tell a joke--or a lie.

  • Re: 2ND REQUEST : How can I setup anonymous printing on win2k or XP?
    ... permissions on the printer accordingly. ... to have accounts on your pseudo-server for authentication. ... If you don't want to make user accounts for individuals on the Win2k box ... It all began with Adam. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: ADAM Proxy Bind re-direction - In reverse
    ... ADAM definitely can't fit in that role. ... by our HR system and will contain both the accounts of active faculty, ... provision "active" accounts to A/D, and deprovision them when no longer ... Active Directory password. ...
  • Re: ISA (2006) + LDAP Authentication
    ... (rather than creating accounts on each target server) ... rather than using groups within the Firewall Rule on ISA. ... internet whether the user is part of AD or not so the auth point will ... ADAM instancelocated internally for a couple of reasons: ...
    (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
  • Re: Windows XP Advanced Filesharing
    ... user/pass box and can access share "Storage" right away ... ... matching username on PC1 and since guest accs are enabled ... he logs in as Guest and that's it ... ... But without Guest accounts there are no shares that can be accessed by ...
  • Re: lost files and programs
    ... I was just browsing and I noticed a couple of things missing on my start ... Ron Kolby and guest userbut now I look at my ... accounts and it shows Ron Kolby, Computer Administrator with a guest user ...