Re: 2ND REQUEST : How can I setup anonymous printing on win2k or XP?

news.valornet.com wrote:

How is this printer shared?
Connected directly to the network?
Connected directly to a computer system?

The PC is running Windows 2000 Professional, and the printer is
directly
connected to it. It is shared as "printer". I would like any other
computer to be able to print to it regardless of the other computers
username/password.

Also, is the PC within a domain ?

The PC is part of a workgroup.

and when you say without
having to put everyone into "its" userlist do you mean "it" as
the PC ? or as the printer ?

I mean the PC. I could put each persons username/password into the
PC's local users and then it would accept print jobs from these
people, but I would prefer to simply modify the PC so it doesn't care
who is trying to print to it.

Finally, do you mean everyone that might ever be at the location
or everyone that is normally there (an so have accounts) ?

Ever be.

Make a Printers user group (if there isn't one already - my Win2k box is
not on right now) and add the users to that group. Then set your
permissions on the printer accordingly. Obviously the users will need
to have accounts on your pseudo-server for authentication. Since you
are using a workgroup, you probably don't have that many users anyway.

If you don't want to make user accounts for individuals on the Win2k box
(perhaps the individuals come and go for ex.), then make a generic user
account on both the "workstations" and the pseudo-server. An example
for a school would be users called "Student" or "Teacher".

If you describe your setup and what you are trying to accomplish in more
detail, you will be able to get more focused help.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: Migrating NT 4 Accounts to Win2k Server
    ... that the PDC dies, your first action is to build yourself a set of BDCs. ... you can upgrade the BDCs to win2k. ... >> profiles and migrate any other system and computer accounts needed. ... Which of the NT4 system accounts, if any, will we need to migrate? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • RE: Migrating NT 4 Accounts to Win2k Server
    ... We understood we needed to move the account profiles somehow to the win2k ... > profiles and migrate any other system and computer accounts needed. ... Which of the NT4 system accounts, if any, will we need to migrate? ... > The firm has been reluctant to upgrade to newer versions for cost reasons. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • RE: Migrating nt4 accounts/computers to win2kAD
    ... > profiles and migrate any other system and computer accounts needed. ... > win2k domain already has the same users and computers in AD. ... > have kept the user account information and passwords the same in both ... Which of the NT4 system accounts, if any, will we need to migrate? ...
  • Re: Migrating NT 4 Accounts to Win2k Server
    ... upgrade BDCs to win2k BDC emulators ... > profiles and migrate any other system and computer accounts needed. ... > tool to use, however, we discovered we have to go to native mode on the ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Help With Permissions onWork Group Network
    ... > We have a work group of 10 computers all running Windows XP Pro on a ... > university WAN. ... > The problem is that I do not want to create user accounts for all users on ... > Is there a permission for a workgroup? ...