Re: What anti-malware software are YOU using?

Kerry Brown wrote:
I run several different programs on different machines for testing purposes. These are the conclusions I have come to. Run any antivirus that you like. Some are better than others with quicker updates. Some use less system resources. In the end all of them if kept updated stop viruses. For a firewall I only use the built in firewall in XP. It works good enough and causes the least amount of problems. For antispyware again pick one to run in resident mode and a couple more to run scans once a week or so. There isn't any one antispware program that will find everything.

On my personal computer at the moment I'm using eTrust ezAntivirus, Windows Defender, and the built in firewall. I also use Adaware SE and Spybot Search and Destroy.

On my notebook I use AVG antivirus and the built in firewall. I don't currently have a resident antispyware program on it. It is mostly used for hooking up to customer's networks and sees very little Internet use. I dual boot to Linux with it and use Linux for any Internet use.

Computer security is more about you and your habits than anything else. This is the reason I say most antimalware programs work good enough so just pick one you happen to like. I don't run in administrator mode. I keep all my programs including Windows updated. I never open any email attachments until I have confirmation from the sender that they indeed sent me an attachment. I am very careful about surfing the net. I have set Firefox as my default browser. I never click on obscured links (tinyurl etc.). I don't run any P2P file sharing programs. I do not click on any ads anywhere. Here are some more suggestions

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/default.mspx

http://www.iwf.org.uk/public/page.92.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/computer-security/safe_practices.html

Thank you for those references.

Someday, I'll be Linux based also, but even then there are threats and holes.

  • Re: What anti-malware software are YOU using?
    ... For a firewall I only use the built in firewall in XP. ... There isn't any one antispware program that will find ... I dual boot to Linux with it and use Linux for any Internet use. ... attachments until I have confirmation from the sender that they indeed ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Linux or BSD alternative to Windows Home Server
    ... My questions were about Gentoo vs. Linux for a sever, ... I will probably eventually have a dedicated firewall ... if you were to have a file server which is accessible ... I'm aware that I could probably create scripts to regularly backup ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... as opposed to in Windows. ... this is not a software firewall as in Windows. ... firewalling code in GNU/Linux is actually part of the Linux kernel ... Kubuntu, Xubuntu et al, the first user account created at installation ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: OT - Desktop Linux
    ... I've got both windows and linux boxes. ... But are there any desktop operating systems out there which enjoy a dis- ... software firewall, have a good and up to date ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
  • Re: [opensuse] installing openSUSE on an older pc
    ... it seems Linux in general is going the way of M$, when you come to linux forums ... I picked them up as junk-ware from the Salvation Army thrift store for less than a meal for the family at McD's would cost. ... WYSISYG, and a large, capable desktop manager is going to need more memory. ... My firewall, mail-hub, file-server: all headless. ...
    (SuSE)