Re: WWW-Authenticate error

but would not Firefox then fail ??

"David Wang [Msft]" <someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23aPcHR1QGHA.1868@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Maybe your server requires Integrated Windows Authentication, which I
think is not enabled in IE by default (I think there is a checkbox in
Options to toggle its support).

--
//David
IIS

"newhorizon1" <newhorizon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I was able to download FireFox and was able to get right through. No
trouble
at all. Apparently the problem lies in IE.

So, I was able to get the result I need, but I'd still like to find out
the
cause of the problem in IE.
Thanks,
Kara

"Roger Abell [MVP]" wrote:

David is quite right, and use of and interpretation from a network
sniff is simple once one has done it a number of times, but at first . .
.
I would still like to hear what results you have when
a) trying from a different machine with any browser, IE or . . .
b) trying from the machine where this fail but using a different browser
Very much could be determined from that information.

"newhorizon1" <newhorizon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
This sounds great, David! The closest to a solution I have ever been!

But I have no idea what a network sniff is or how to take one? I'm not
that
advanced. Can you tell me how to do that and I'll be glad to post the
results.

Thanks so much!
kg

"David Wang [Msft]" wrote:

The error you are getting back is 401.2 (IIS Custom Error) which
indicates
that the "client" insists on using an authentication protocol that
the
server is not configured to accept. A "client" may be your browser,
or it
may be any proxy servers between your browser at the target server -
this
partly depends on your browser configuration.

This issue is straight forward to diagnose. Reseting IE settings,
using
other browsers, or making any other configuration changes are not
necessary.
Why? The issue boils down to:
1. The server is expecting the "client" to send something
2. But the request received from the "client" does NOT contain that
something
3. This automatically results in the server sending back the 401.2
error
that you see.

All you have to do is:
1. Take a network sniff of the traffic from when you make that first
request
to the website admin console until when you get the 401.2 error page
back
2. Post the request and response headers from the sniff

The network sniff will clearly show:
1. What authentication protocol(s) the server expects via
WWW-Authenticate:
2. What authentication protocol the browser chose via Authorize:

With this information, you know where the mismatch comes from and the
exact
configuration change that is necessary to remove the mismatch.

Of course, I am assuming that your website admin console is not using
custom
authentication protocol, or that there aren't custom binaries
modifying
request/response outside the client-side, but even if it is the case,
the
diagnosis steps will be similar.

http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2005/12/31/HOWTO_Basics_of_IIS6_Troubleshooting.aspx

Basically, until you provide this information, we are all guessing,
pattern-matching, and working around your missing information.

--
//David
IIS
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
rights.
//

"newhorizon1" <newhorizon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
I reset everything to default in IE that I could find and it still
did
not
work. Could it have anything at all to do with the fact that I'm on
dialup
connection?

Thanks for your help.
Kara

"Rage" wrote:

I would agree with Roger, if the service providers server isn't
allowing
you
to connect in IE with default settings, the most common
configuration
out
there, then this is likely a server side issue.

Thanks,

"newhorizon1" wrote:

I really hope someone here can help me, as I've had no luck
anywhere
else.
I'd be eternally grateful.

When I try to log in to my website's administration console to
view
the
visitors stats for my pages, I get the following message:

the
credentials that you supplied because your Web browser is
sending a
WWW-Authenticate header field that the Web server is not
configured
accept.

I have reset my IE 6.0 back to default settings, but this still
does
not
work. Can anyone help, please?
Thanks!