Re: Virus infection as soon as I'm online! Help

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Toto Sanderson wrote:
My home computer (XP Home) caught Trojan Horse viruses a month ago,
with spy watching (so it says). Then I couldn't figure out how to
delete the virus so I formated C: and re-installed the system.

However, as soon as I installed broadband software and got
connected to the internet, these trojan viruses attacked me again!

I've tried re-install the system serveral times. Now I do not dare
to go online at all coz each time I felt I was bombed with virus &
spy watch immediately... :(

Please help me! Why is it and how to get rid of these spy & virus?

ps, i'm using AVG free edition and I would update the DB once i'm
online!

Did you turn on your firewall before connecting to the Internet?
Did you install SP2 before connecting to the Internet? (You can download
the full IT version and install it before ever connecting to the Internet
with this particular system.)

Prey tell me how you download something without first connecting ... or do
we assume you download from another machine that is known to be clean?

Did you know you could download the AVG updates, write them to some
external media and come online with updated definitions?

Same question as above.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • Re: Disaster on disaster
    ... (yes the virus went right past Norton AV 2005). ... I got some great replies & downloaded @> least 7 different virus & maleware scanners. ... Follow the steps in my clean install link paying close attention to not connecting to the internet before setting your firewall. ... If you truly formatted the hard drive, it is very likely you are getting re infected by not following the advice to set your firewall before connecting to the internet, or you could be getting it from infected software. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Virus infection as soon as Im online! Help
    ... with spy watching. ... Did you turn on your firewall before connecting to the Internet? ... Prey tell me how you download something without first connecting ... ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Way OT Computer Security
    ... to the internet for nearly five years. ... All it takes is ONE virus to screw things up. ... And people use thier computers for filing income taxes, ... connecting to the office computer. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Virus infection as soon as Im online! Help
    ... with spy watching. ... delete the virus so I formated C: ... Did you turn on your firewall before connecting to the Internet? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: No response for 10mins after connecting to Internet
    ... have checked and my PC is virus free. ... > If I start PC and don't connect to Internet then all programs run fine. ... If i start up programs before connecting to internet then they run fine ... it just seems that if i start the dial-up connection then ...