Re: unrestricted access to a file share

I tend to agree with Shenan, even use of a generically shared username/pwd
that all at the location know is likely better than havng the share
wideopen.
However, given that "the servers will . . . not access to the Internet",
perhaps
not that much is gained IF that means no one from the internet will have
access
to the server - even in event of a compromised workstation on that network
that does have access.
I believe you need to add the share in the policy found in the security
options
area, named something to effect "shares that may be accessed anonymously"

"Dragon Lord" <DragonLord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
The way my business is set up, I need to create a file share that can be
accessed by anyone. The servers will be deployed in the field with no
access
to the Internet or the central office. Users will need to access the
fileshare that have never been defined on the server (neither the user or
the
server are domain members) when they are at the remote site.

My Share permissions are Everyone for full/change/read.
My NTFS permissions are Everyone for read/write/execute

I have added anonymous logon to everyone through the security policy, and
have even tried enabling null shares. Neither worked. Whenever I access
the
stand alone server, it challanges me for credentials.

Is there any way to open up the fileshare so it does not need to
authenticate the user?

Thanks

  • Re: Windows Server 2008 TS Error.
    ... You might want to read up about NTFS permissions, ... Here's a nice article by Jeff Pitsch: ... MCSE, CCEA, Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server ... drives and that is through group policy. ...
  • Re: Limit user access to server
    ... > administrator access to the server. ... > group permissions from the folders that you want to control access to OR ... > change the ntfs permissions of the users group and user account ... > Policies can also be used to restrict what applications a user can install ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Client Access
    ... How is authentication set on IIS? ... Do users have NTFS permissions to read files on server? ...
  • Need help please, Having trouble finding/adding users for purpose of granting permissions or adding
    ... I am having trouble getting users added into NTFS permissions or in to ... I also setup a simulation in my lab of an XP Pro ... workstation and a single W2K Server running as the Domain controller. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment)