Re: Surfing with User privileges

Russ wrote:
> Apparently a person cannot use these newsgroups operating their
> computer without administrator privileges. Just now I tried to post
> a new message with only limited privileges and could not get the
> dialog box for writing the new post to come up. This limitation
> hinders good security practice. I turned on the "allow pop-ups from
> this site" but that didn't work, and I turned on "temporarily allow
> pop-ups from this site" but that didn't do it either!
>
> In our home and business we are trying to use our computers with
> limited privileges more and more, to protect the current Windows
> setup and avoid spyware and adware. If programs used daily won't
> operate properly with these limited rights it makes operation
> frustrating.

While I agree it is ironic that you can't use the web interface without
admin privileges the best way to view these newsgroups is with a newsreader.
Outlook Express works fine. The server is msnews.microsoft.com. This group
is microsoft.public.security.

Kerry

  • RE: Surfing with User privileges
    ... They usually operate correctly.At our firm we also use limited user accounts ... "Russ" wrote: ... > Apparently a person cannot use these newsgroups operating their computer ... > without administrator privileges. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Surfing with User privileges
    ... Apparently a person cannot use these newsgroups operating their computer ... without administrator privileges. ... to protect the current Windows setup and avoid ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: IP Packet Filter
    ... you don't run without limited privileges, then you really end up having to ... Even in the case where there are say unknown security holes in the system ... As you can see,security gets updated only AFTER some new attack gets ...
  • Can administrator privileges be limited
    ... can the pc administrator account have limited privileges? ... If the privileges are limited, how does the admin get them back? ... I have seen several postings that say they are using Admin but don't ...