Re: Kama Sutra / W32.Blackmal.E worm questions

From: "Richard Fangnail" <richardfangnail@xxxxxxxxxx>

| I have Norton AV and it was updated on Jan. 17 2006 with the entry:
|
| W32.Blackmal.E@mm
| CME-24, Win32.Blackmal.F [Computer Associates],
| Email-Worm.Win32.Nyxem.e [F-Secure], Email-Worm.Win32.Nyxem.e
| [Kaspersky], W32/MyWife.d@MM [McAfee], W32/MyWife.d@MM!M24 [McAfee],
| W32/Small.KI@mm [Norman], Tearec.A [Panda Software], W32/Nyxem-D
| [Sophos], WORM_GREW.{A, B} [Trend Micro]
|
| Will I be okay no matter what?
|
| Is there a way you can get this worm without opening email attachments?
|
| I just saw a CNN report where they did not mention that you can get it
| by opening attachments. But the mainstream media doesn't explain these
| things very well.

CME-24 -- http://cme.mitre.org/data/list.html

Read the writeups from the various AV vendors.

In addition to being sent via email, this worm also spreads via unsecured NT Shares.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Kama Sutra / W32.Blackmal.E worm questions
    ... CME-24, Win32.Blackmal.F, ... Will I be okay no matter what? ... Is there a way you can get this worm without opening email attachments? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • xp issues.
    ... but no matter what I do, I cannot remove the worm. ... >install critical updates from Windows Update site. ... no matter what my security setting is at. ... >>messenger, aim, or yahoo messenger. ...
  • Some brief details on new worm
    ... Some brief details on new worm ... Okay, we've got some details from a quick glance at one of the infected ... machines. ...
    (Incidents)
  • Re: Note on Swen from a newbie victim
    ... >> Does the worm run continuously on an infected machine and send ... >> repeatedly to its targets? ... > Does it matter, we are still getting stuff from code red attempts and ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Bugs in the pantry
    ... Okay, I thought I had this taken care of but apparently not:( ... We have these bugs. ... the ones that are little worm like ...
    (alt.home.repair)