strange encryption behavior

I am getting the following strange behavior in Outlook 2003 SP1 on XP
Pro.

I have previously received signed emails from my friend "Joe" who is in
the GAL (although his certficicate is not in the GAL) I can see his
certificate in Certificate Manager, under Other People, and it is
reported there as OK. I have also previously sent him signed and
encrypted emails successfully.

*Sometimes* when I create a new email and select Joe from the GAL in
the To field, activate the Sign and Encrypt buttons, type my message,
and click Send I get:

Microsoft Office Outlook had problems encrypting this message because
the following recipients had missing or invalid certificates, or
conflicting or unsupported encryption capabilities.

I then go to a signed email I have previously received from Joe and
reply to it, again making sure that the Sign and Encrypt buttons are
activated. That works.

Now I once again send a *new* email to Joe, as above. It now works. It
continues to work for a while, then suddenly goes back into its old
"problems encrypting this message" mode.

What is going on here?

I would prefer not putting the certificates into the GAL.

I already tried the registry modifications recommended in:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;870564&spid=2520&sid=216#kb5

but it did not help.

  • strange encryption behavior
    ... I have previously received signed emails from my friend "Joe" who is in ... certificate in Certificate Manager, under Other People, and it is ... the To field, activate the Sign and Encrypt buttons, type my message, ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook)
  • Re: Newbie question
    ... Joe, you rock! ... My only concern in this scenario is requiring partners to implement it, ... You could pass the MAC as a second query string parameter. ... Would it be acceptable to have the partner encrypt the MAC with the ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: File Encryption Help
    ... You may want to post in a dedicated windows newsgroup. ... Joe wrote: ... > Right Click file>> Properties select advanced and then select Encrypt file ... >> Dave Peterson ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.misc)
  • Re: Decrytping Files from past OS Install
    ... If you did not export either yours or the key recover agent (if you created ... "Joe Francoeur" wrote in message ... > encrypt my files, which I also neglected to note before the OS reinstall. ... > Is there any feasable way that I can decrpyt these files? ...