Re: IE part of the operating system

Actually, I feel that the excessively numerous methods of customizing and
injecting code into both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer is a larger
concern than the integration of Internet Explorer into Windows. Certainly,
that code has to first make it onto the system to have an effect, and to be
installed under an administrator account, but once it's there it can really
hook into your Windows experience quite scarily.

I'm not going to list those methods here, as:
- Most people who have something intelligent to say on this matter already
know what they are.
- Despite a decade of experience in programming for Windows, I don't think I
know what every single one of them is (which is to my point).
- I don't want to encourage would-be spyware authors.

Paul

"Phillip Windell" <@.> wrote in message
> "Paul Baker" <paulb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> However, if Dominique's point is that most people will use Windows
> Explorer
>> as their shell, he's right that this creates a security concern.
>> Microsoft
>> just went too far, but they likely realise that now and it's hard to
>> backtrack that far.
>
> No they didn't go too far and the law suit was just a "witch hunt".
>
> The browsers found in the various GUIs for Linux have the browsers
> interact
> with the GUI in almost the same detail and degree. You don't hear about
> it
> because nobody really cares,...bashing Linux isn't "politically correct".
> Take any browser in Linux and enter a File Path into the address bar and
> "wha-la" it becomes a "file explorer",...then take about any "file
> explorer"
> window and enter a URL into it and "wha-la" it becomes a "web browser"
> based
> on whatever is the "default" for the particular GUI you are running.
>
> --
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com
> Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
> http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_AccessRules.html
>
> Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Guidance
> http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2004.asp
> http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/techinfo/Guidance/2000.asp
>
> Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
> http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/partners/default.asp
>
> Deployment Guidelines for ISA Server 2004 Enterprise Edition
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/isa/2004/deploy/dgisaserver.mspx

  • Re: OE Hyperlinks do not work
    ... Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol and select it. ... depending on your Windows version. ... They all had the proper associations for Internet Explorer. ... Internet Explorer would not open a web page and Outlook Express would not display the contents of messages in the lower window, ...
  • Re: is it an operating system issue?
    ... I am having trouble with an old laptop...all the applications such as windows media player, microsoft word, excel, yahoo messenger, msn messenger work fine. ... The problem I am having is that every time I click on the icons such as: internet explorer, control panel, my computer, windows explorer, recycle bin or anything that will allow me to "have a look into my computer", nothing will pop up to allow me to do so. ... Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer. ... Sometimes you need to install the application and reboot into SAFE MODE ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Unable to change toolbars
    ... the Internet Explorer icon>right click on it and select Send to>select ... I am able to open more than one window in IE but still have the toolbars ... Still have to go thru Windows Explorer. ...
  • Re: Blocking Windows Explorer in firewall
    ... > To block Internet Explorer, ... >> My firewall seems to be set to ask me each time Windows Explorer ... Open Automatic Updates in Control Panel. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IE TOOLBAR!
    ... You may even have to do more than is in my Spyware section of ... You should also empty your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...