Re: Password protect memory stick

That sounds strange, because if they don't have their software installed on
another PC they should use some standard mechanism that allows to set
passwords on folders, files. Maybe their requerement is that boths PC should
have EFS ? :)

--
Vladimir

"Paul Baker" <paulb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> They claim that a removable disk can contain files protected by this
> software and be taken to another computer with no requirement that
> software be installed on that computer.
>
> I'll believe it when I see it :)
>
> There are many reasons why this shouldn't be possible. How can a low-level
> file open/read operation be given the password, for example!
>
> Paul
>
> "Scherbina Vladimir" <vladimir.scherbina@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Such software usually uses file system driver to protect files/folders.
>>
>> --
>> Vladimir
>>
>> "Notan" <notan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> http://www.snapfiles.com/features/folderlock-802-468192.php
>>>
>>> I have no idea how well it works, but the reviews are pretty good.
>>>
>>> Notan

  • Re: To detect weak or blank password?
    ... I don't know if Vladimir can use this; ... I am not sure I can figure out how to inject code into LSASS but I am ... The hardest part is the list of passwords to check for, ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: To detect weak or blank password?
    ... I don't know if Vladimir can use this; ... > I am not sure I can figure out how to inject code into LSASS but I am ... >> with couple of hundreds most usual passwords. ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: Password protect memory stick
    ... >I have heard of users using EFS on memory drives as long as the drive is ... The user would also need to export his EFS ... >>> passwords on folders, files. ... >>> Vladimir ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Shaping files from and xp drive
    ... the firles and folders are ther but when I try and move them or open them I ... Windows XP doesn't have passwords for files. ... How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP ... Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group ...
  • Re: Password Protect Drives and/or Folders?
    ... > I've cruised the help files and this forum. ... The one I want to protect mostly. ... XP does not use passwords to protect resources. ... you can only make files and folders under My ...